Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang

Electronic change coming (Federal law)

Recommended Posts

Concerning frequency changes, when I was in USAF, in early 2000's, we installed some new communications equipment at Eglin AFB in the Florida panhandle.  Once we started using it, garage doors all over the area started opening and closing, much to their owner's chagrin.  Seems that the garage door opener company had chosen a frequency range that was reserved for USAF use.  

So, if the entertainment industry (in general) or Drum Corps (specifically) doesn't pay attention to  frequency requirements, it can be unpredictable what may come out of the loudspeakers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a big challenge for Broadway musicals for years. So many theaters in such a small area all trying to use the same narrow band of frequencies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Concerning frequency changes, when I was in USAF, in early 2000's, we installed some new communications equipment at Eglin AFB in the Florida panhandle.  Once we started using it, garage doors all over the area started opening and closing, much to their owner's chagrin.  Seems that the garage door opener company had chosen a frequency range that was reserved for USAF use.  

So, if the entertainment industry (in general) or Drum Corps (specifically) doesn't pay attention to  frequency requirements, it can be unpredictable what may come out of the loudspeakers.

similar situation here when on the last Sunday of the month the garage door liked to open and close on its own. It seems a Luftansa flight took a certain flight path or near enough weather depending. The new garage door now sings Michelob theme.

Are there any consequences the other way besides audience deafness if a corps uses wrong frequencies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This has been a big challenge for Broadway musicals for years. So many theaters in such a small area all trying to use the same narrow band of frequencies.

Did they lose their shot?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xandandl said:

similar situation here when on the last Sunday of the month the garage door liked to open and close on its own. It seems a Luftansa flight took a certain flight path or near enough weather depending. The new garage door now sings Michelob theme.

Are there any consequences the other way besides audience deafness if a corps uses wrong frequencies?

It depends on what is being interfered with.  'Possessed' garage doors are one thing; a compromised Automated Landing System (ALS) at an airport is quite another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It depends on what is being interfered with.  'Possessed' garage doors are one thing; a compromised Automated Landing System (ALS) at an airport is quite another.  

Would we be passing the hat in the stands for someone's bail fund should we suddenly have a new PROP(eller) on the field? (Cue Cadets '92?)

 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Concerning frequency changes, when I was in USAF, in early 2000's, we installed some new communications equipment at Eglin AFB in the Florida panhandle.  Once we started using it, garage doors all over the area started opening and closing, much to their owner's chagrin.  Seems that the garage door opener company had chosen a frequency range that was reserved for USAF use.  

So, if the entertainment industry (in general) or Drum Corps (specifically) doesn't pay attention to  frequency requirements, it can be unpredictable what may come out of the loudspeakers.

it can also interfere with electronic judging systems

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are frequency “police” at NFL games that will track you down and kill your equipment if necessary. Nothing is allowed to interfere with the broadcast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.