Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

10 hours ago, frachel said:

Late in catching up on this thread, but let me ask this - my HS marching band was small - maybe 4 drummers and 12 other instrumentalists, but we had no woodwind players. Were we a drum corps or a marching band?

Marching band using brass instruments.  Like a much smaller Ohio State.

57 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The "problem with that" is the loss of an entire species.

We are one change away from losing the drum corps species.  Add woodwinds, and it is marching band.  For those of us who love drum corps because it is brass/percussion-centric, that will be gone.  I guess if you love marching band just as much, then you will see no problem with that personally... but please consider that others feel differently.

That has already happened.  When you are different in NO really tangible way why continue the charade?  This is now Marching Band, the traveling league, competing on the DCI circuit.  This shark jumped (mostly) when they added the third valve IMHO and made a fully chromatic instrument.  The switch from the key of G sealed it.  Now, if we treated the activity like we do everything else lately we would be removing Hopkin's taint from all the rules that he helped instate....but I digress. :P 

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

The "problem with that" is the loss of an entire species.

We are one change away from losing the drum corps species.  Add woodwinds, and it is marching band.  For those of us who love drum corps because it is brass/percussion-centric, that will be gone.  I guess if you love marching band just as much, then you will see no problem with that personally... but please consider that others feel differently.

This^^^^^

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

we bred them. 

Sounds like the title of a 1950s horror movie. 🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ohio State marching band has no woodwinds. 

Texas A&M has a few, but they are drowned out by the 200-plus brass players.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was watching a DCI video on YouTube at work a few weeks ago and someone asked if was watching marching band. So, I had ten seconds to explain and my short reply boiled down to it being all brass and they do nothing but drum corps 24x7 for about four months per year so they get really good and can do intricate shows that most bands can only dream of. I guess that was my elevator pitch for drum corps - all brass and they practice a lot. Is an amplified bass clarinet as loud as a contra?

11 hours ago, frachel said:

Late in catching up on this thread, but let me ask this - my HS marching band was small - maybe 4 drummers and 12 other instrumentalists, but we had no woodwind players. Were we a drum corps or a marching band?

Did you have a pit?  If you didn't have pit then you didn't have either a marching band or a drum corps.  You had a small concert band playing on a football field.

Hilarious post, yours was.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

So obviously, they are a drum corps! 

#tbddcitl

No pit = no drum corps.

Also de-facto proof:  Ohio State draws pictures; drum corps hate pictures and prefer props.  Ergo, Ohio State is not a drum corps.

EDIT:  Texas bands use big bass drums or actual long-horned steers as props.  Ergo, all Texas bands that use props are drum corps even if they don't have pits.  The Texas Longhorn band uses props (bass drum), is all brass (they actually are bi-band/drum corps because they use WWs on an as desired basis), and plays on flat snare drums during pre-game.  Ohio State is a band and marches pregame with drums up on the chest (and they have no pit), ergo they're a band.  Texas Longhorn Drum Corps is not a band because they flat drums during pregame.

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 2