Disturbing DCI rumors

On 12/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, Lance said:

i've wondered for awhile if there are any districts around the country that don't treat marching band as a curricular class.  

all the districts i've taught at do, but i assume there are some districts out there that don't, and that also cut music budgets enough to keep it from even being taught on an extracurricular contract.  maybe this guy is one of those?

nothing to do with the points you all are making about instruments and facility use, of course. 

thousands. its more often extra curicullar

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Does changes warrant your arrogant and rude remarks about and/or to legacy fans? BTW who for the most part have the disposable income to support the activity in various ways. There’s a lot of different flavors, but we all have our own preferences. Lighten up sweetie. 

What warrants a Legacy Fan? I aged out in 2005 I am by definition a Dino as are most in this forum, I however don't hold my enjoyment of the product hostage because its meets my strict criteria. This is an art form, Art constantly changes. During my time, We went from G Bugles to Bb Horns, From No Amps, to Amps And the products got better.

Everyone is free to do as they please, all i'm saying is that if you are going to hinge your enjoyment of DCI based on the fact that DCI doesn't have WoodWinds on the field, allow the rest of us who still enjoy the product regardless of the instrumentation to enjoy it in peace, Free from the Toxicity.

If you are still here after the rule change don't make it miserable for everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Everyone is free to do as they please, all i'm saying is that if you are going to hinge your enjoyment of DCI based on the fact that DCI doesn't have WoodWinds on the field, allow the rest of us who still enjoy the product regardless of the instrumentation to enjoy it in peace, Free from the Toxicity.

If you are still here after the rule change don't make it miserable for everyone else. 

To put it in a sound bite... if you don’t like it SHUT UP! Because difference in opinion is “toxicity”.

ps first heard “that ain’t drum corps” in 1975. Bfd....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a pretty nice person but I have to say, you take arrogance to a new level.  To be sure though, it will come back and bite you right in the a** someday.  

hang on let my pain meds wear off

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have yet to see or hear anyone disrespect the marching members.... complain about changes yes, but no dissing the members. 

Potential Members in the Tens of Thousands who could be Marching a Wood Wind Instrument on the DCI Field. Those people are people just like Brass Players. How do you think they feel reading page after page or shock and awe of the mere mention of their talents and musicianship on a DCI Field. As if they are not equal or deserve the right to achieve just as all of their other colleagues are able to buzzing a mouthpiece, stroking a drum stick or spinning a flag. Why are they not worthy or the shot? Why do they have to learn a second instrument on in which they are not as good at to enjoy Marching Major League?

Disrespect?... Discrimination? Call it what it you will but its been happening since the beginning of Drum Corps.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

So joining this party late, but any changes on the horizon are to expand the palette that the DCI designer can use.

DCI corps have "Sound Reinforcement" on their minds and its guaranteed that if WW are introduced they will be at the level and professionalism of a DCI Corps. The WW timbre and quality will be heard as its Instrument is intended. Hearing source material on the football field as they where originally composed not adaptations will be a welcome treat. Imagine as previously stated Gabriel's oboe with an actual Oboe. Rhapsody in Blue with an actual Clarinetist helming the reins. A Truely bad ### Saxophone quintet riffing like only saxophones can riff under a BD Ballad or Big band Shout section.

The possibilities for Designers to explore/expand their available arsenal to the full music catalog has got to be a welcoming proposition as opposed to having to recycle Old Themes and song choices.

The adverse reaction to WW's on a football field are in my opinion based on the fact that you need 100 WW's for them to be heard on the field without Sound Reinforcement. Groups like Tarpon Springs and other BOA GN Finalists have shown for years what a HS band is capable of doing with proper Sound Reinforcement. Imagine that but with professionals in a professional setting. It will help the activity as a whole as the DCI groups will show the BOA/HS Groups how to properly do WW's on the Field.

As long as the Music Captions sheets don't start to introduce WW Color as a requirement and leave the WW instruments as a mechanism for Stylist choices it should be ok. But even then, if current Sound Reinforcement rules dont change (and they probably wont with the amount of financial investment being done by member corps) The Corps will find a way to get an even soundscape with the least amount of WW instruments as possible. 

And finally should that day happen and you old Dinos want to leave, I'll be the one holding the door for you. This activity like it did for many of you was intended for the Youth. It is for their enjoyment and achievement. When you all marched you couldn't give a rats-azz about what the people in the stands thought about what you where doing. And DCI position is that they are currently alienating 50% of their potential membership base to "satisfy" the history that a small minority of its fan-base are hanging on too. 

The Kids achievement wont change because there are 10 Woodwinds on the field. Their achievement wont change if you are in the stands or not. What will change is that the WW players across this country will have a similar option to Achieve greatness along with their brass counterparts. Something that they currently have no way to achieve.

All that I ask, is that when you do leave; Leave and leave the rest of us who want to enjoy this alone to enjoy it.

Similar to Star wars fans and their very vocal negative TOXIC minority, you stain the rest of us who really understand the true intent of the product and enjoy it not because it meets a very narrow paradigm and rules that where followed decades ago, but enjoy it simply because it exists in the first place. 

Glenn,

How do you know those opposed to woodwinds in Drum Corps are a minority?  Has there been polling done?  Also, can't woodwind players "Achieve greatness" in marching band now?  Some of us had to learn a new instrument in order to participate and we didn't feel "alienated".  If I want to be on the swim team I have to learn how to swim.  Does this requirement "alienate" non-swimmers?     

Lastly, your comment: "as opposed to having to recycle old themes and song choices".......your argument implies the lack of woodwinds causes this.  I don't buy it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

What warrants a Legacy Fan? I aged out in 2005 I am by definition a Dino as are most in this forum, I however don't hold my enjoyment of the product hostage because its meets my strict criteria. This is an art form, Art constantly changes. During my time, We went from G Bugles to Bb Horns, From No Amps, to Amps And the products got better.

this will apply to you and those you're arguing with:

drum corps has been making changes to the product since day 2.

people have been complaining about those changes since day 2.

arguiung between both sides as well as mass hysteria, threats to leave forever, people waving good bye to those making the threats to leave, dogs and cats living together etc have been happening since day 3.

Lion King has the circle of life. drum corps has the circle of argument.

rinse

repeat

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Potential Members in the Tens of Thousands who could be Marching a Wood Wind Instrument on the DCI Field. Those people are people just like Brass Players. How do you think they feel reading page after page or shock and awe of the mere mention of their talents and musicianship on a DCI Field. As if they are not equal or deserve the right to achieve just as all of their other colleagues are able to buzzing a mouthpiece, stroking a drum stick or spinning a flag. Why are they not worthy or the shot? Why do they have to learn a second instrument on in which they are not as good at to enjoy Marching Major League?

Disrespect?... Discrimination? Call it what it you will but its been happening since the beginning of Drum Corps.

Ok I don’t like woodwinds or string instruments in drum corps. Reason is I like the blend of horns and perc sound. How the hell is that insulting the people who play strings or wws?

And using the term discrimination in this is demeaning to people who have gone thru it in real life..... (not me but some people I know personally)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Glenn,

How do you know those opposed to woodwinds in Drum Corps are a minority?  Has there been polling done?  Also, can't woodwind players "Achieve greatness" in marching band now?  Some of us had to learn a new instrument in order to participate and we didn't feel "alienated".  If I want to be on the swim team I have to learn how to swim.  Does this requirement "alienate" non-swimmers?     

Lastly, your comment: "as opposed to having to recycle old themes and song choices".......your argument implies the lack of woodwinds causes this.  I don't buy it.

For me its just taking into account the hundreds of thousands of Kids in HS Marching bands all across the country. DCI's potential Membership base.

I don't have numbers and I'm sure that DCI does have polling data of their most diehard fans, Those fans that buy the Super 3 tickets year after year who complete their surveys. Perhaps DCI has shared some of this information with their members and this is leading to the introduction of the rule changes. IDK.

Greatness in DCI cannot be compared with Greatness achieved at BOA Grand nationals. The BOA Bands simply do not have the ability to spend the same amount of rehearsal time as the DCI Corps, and thus the difficult is diminished so that the BOA groups can achieve clarity.

There is a whole library of pieces that are not touched because it would be hard to replicate on a Football field without the instruments the originals where composed for, its why I think so many Brass Band pieces are being used as source material these days. To Achieve a sound that can replicate the original compositions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok I don’t like woodwinds or string instruments in drum corps. Reason is I like the blend of horns and perc sound. How the hell is that insulting the people who play strings or wws?

And using the term discrimination in this is demeaning to people who have gone thru it in real life..... (not me but some people I know personally)

Your preference is preventing WW players from join the corps they love and feature the full breath of their talents on their primary instrument.

Surely the only thing that has kept WW's from Joining DCI before is the loud public opinion of those who threaten to leave DCI for good if WW players join.

I cant help but to see some parallels in this train of thought to other forms of disrespect.