2020 Rules Proposals

12 hours ago, garfield said:

Careful.  “Rude” seems to be the word of the day.

no around here it was "I win!" Sadie has become a master at the game Race Across the USA.

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

Do you have examples of corps where the instructors’ requests have bankrupt the corps? If this has happened, the problem is not instructors adding unnecessary items to a budget, it is leadership allowing it. 

agreed. bad management does it, not wild staff ideas

11 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Along side Jimmy Hoffa?  Wait, he was cremated.  Never mind... 😂😎

that was the Meadowlands per urban legend. realistically it was probably the Silverdome

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

DCI is considering this weekend whether to allow a current member corps to go on tour this summer or not, in part because they’re carrying hundreds of thousands in debt. Anything that puts financial pressure on a corps to keep up with the fill-in-the-blanks in order to stay competitive is part of that process.

In terms of bringing staffs into the budgeting process, many if not most WC corps already do that. The problem is that OTHER corps’ staffs aren’t part of their budgeting process, so what feels like no big deal to the Blue Devils’ budget might be a significant strain to Phantom Regiment’s - but PR is in a situation where they realize they have to keep up in the hardware race or suffer some consequences when the judges tell their members that they’re not competitive because their $200,000 sound system sucks in comparison to someone else’s $350,000 worth of mics/speakers/amps, etc.

It’s why I said that financially impacting rules changes should be considered by ALL players - instructors being ONE, but not the only, group to evaluate the changes early in the process.

who?

6 hours ago, garfield said:

I've said it since the very beginning:  A/I was not the Holy Grail.  MM limits was the first-determinant. Now the rationale to increase membership to accommodate WW is muted or gone.  "New Revenue" will not be proven by increased membership the majority of WC corps.

I believe A/I was, is, and will be for OC and the commentary already is hinting towards the benefit for that class.  Not so, WC, that I've seen.  (I just can't see Crown changing that hornline to be "inclusive" to WWs.)  Allowing A/I will also align it better with Soundsport.

Others here disagree, but I don't think increasing membership limits will come up in two years.

I don't see how it benefits OC. kids now don't go there for reasons not having to do with instrumentation. 

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I brought this up a week ago and was "corrected" by a veteran poster.  "Because they'll still be in the box", was the answer.

No, he didn't have all the information.

it's going to be venue dependent. however the risk is removing paying butts from those seats...lost revenue

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I appreciate that there are other constituents who want or have a voice, but the discussion referenced was about the relative SPENDING patterns of "old", "legacy" (presumably without marching members in their family) versus the younger families with marching members.

I don't bring up anything to discourage discussion; quite the opposite.  Rational discussion without personal attacks is my goal.

I CAN say what data DCI had.  Why do you presume that you're entitled to the info when you have no involvement with the activity besides buying a ticket?

I believe that it has not been shown that dino spending (the group of which includes myself) is greater than family spending of younger fans whose family and friends are included in that member's financial impact on the activity.  And I would say I spend more than the average of my dino age bracket.

Sorry, "Legacy" age bracket.

Pfft.

thats because they didnt consider spending specific to corps and not just DCI the mothership

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Has anyone here been in a band where you don't bring your own woodwind instrument?

taught 2

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

The only way a thread can be shut down is for persistent guideline violations (that I have been warning about) or the OP making the request. 

We don't close them because the topic may be "finished", so to speak.

:notme:

10 hours ago, garfield said:

Nothing more than what I've witnessed and heard from a few who don't think that the loss of legacy fans will be any more impactful than it's been for any of the past, major changes.

Oh, really?

Then I can answer your earlier question.  No, I do not have faith in the ability of DCI to collect data, analyze it, and draw appropriate conclusions from it.

But I'm confident that CFO Wayne and a couple other number-crunchers have done some figuring to back up that belief.

Maybe the number-crunchers need to take a brief break from that, and look at the feedback coming from actual human beings.

• Thanks 1