Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

I’m not sure why you are trying to make it a contest.  If auto accidents claim one less life than Covid-19, do all those lives just not matter?

I'm not making it a contest. From the beginning of this disaster, there were people, here and elsewhere, who said we don't need to worry about this disease because more people die of the flu, or die in car accidents, or what have you. That's all.

• Like 2

I predict much of this concern will subside about the second week of November. Maybe then, any discussion of ‘numbers managementwill be reserved for debates about DCI judging.   😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i wish them future thoughts and prayers

My take on the SLC “meeting” was parents want have their side heard and followed.... but if anyone who tries to talk disagrees then we will boo them down to shut them up....

Great lesson for the kids....

meanwhile CDC reports 67k new cases and 947 deaths yesterday.... and some hospitals reporting full ICUs and asking for out of state medical staffs... someone tell me again how fractions of percentages make a difference 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

The thing is, while we discuss a national mandate for masks, the things you note are state mandates. The origins of the US left most laws up to the states on purpose. Does the federal government even have the ability to create a national law/rule for this? Even most education rules and policies are state-driven, not federal. 

I'm a bit of a history buff.

When they were drafting the Constitution,one of the biggest concerns states had was a too powerful Federal Government taking away states' rights.

Under the Constitution,the Federal Government's powers over states  are actually quite limited.

They've "stretched" their powers over the years,but its still limited.

When this thing first started ,there were calls for the President to impose

a national lock down.

It was pointed out that,under the Constitution, he can't.

Its up to each state.

Same with states reopening or requiring masks.

• Like 1

They've been talking quite a bit about people who had Covid, getting reinfected.

Happened to a guy my neighbor worked with.

He got tested at work.

Came back positive.

Self quarantined  for 14 days.

No symptoms.

Retested,negative.

Went back to work.

After a few weeks,he  got really sick.

Tested positive a second time.

Didn't make it.

Apparently, possible reinfection,  isn't uncommon.

There's an article about it in the " Nation's Health" section of today's The Record

by John Bacon of USA TODAY.

It won't link,but if you google his name it comes up.

Currently there's only anecdotal evidence of reinfection.

But it is significant enough that scientists are studying it to see if reinfections

are occurring.

The article says a second infection seems to be more serious then the first.

The other "issue" is that,if reinfections are occurring,it really calls into question the ability

to come up with an effective vaccine.

9 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

They've been talking quite a bit about people who had Covid, getting reinfected.

Happened to a guy my neighbor worked with.

He got tested at work.

Came back positive.

Self quarantined  for 14 days.

No symptoms.

Retested,negative.

Went back to work.

After a few weeks,he  got really sick.

Tested positive a second time.

Didn't make it.

Apparently, possible reinfection,  isn't uncommon.

There's an article about it in the " Nation's Health" section of today's The Record

by John Bacon of USA TODAY.

It won't link,but if you google his name it comes up.

Currently there's only anecdotal evidence of reinfection.

But it is significant enough that scientists are studying it to see if reinfections

are occurring.

The article says a second infection seems to be more serious then the first.

The other "issue" is that,if reinfections are occurring,it really calls into question the ability

to come up with an effective vaccine.

Yeah I haven’t heard any data regarding reinfections but I personally have seen some viral posts on social media about individuals posting their story on how they got reinfected 

58 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah I haven’t heard any data regarding reinfections but I personally have seen some viral posts on social media about individuals posting their story on how they got reinfected 

That a a worry. I’m wondering how good the tests or labs doing the tests are for determining positive or negative. If basic problems with this.... Read info from local teaching hospital how some of the national labs take a week to come back with results. Is that screwing the pooch somehow?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok I read and they might as well say open it now demonstrations are ok too

... but they never did say that.  In fact, they did the opposite, insisting that the two flavors of protests be treated differently.

(with even less mask and SD use). let’s be honest and admit there were boneheads on both sides. 👎

Sure.  Only one side had such tangible support justifying the boneheadedness, though.

Personally think start of summer was when we started going to crap. Things were looking better and people relaxed way too much. Also about time the younger people were affected more which makes me think party time at beach or wherever really helped fuel the spikes

We spent the entire month of June with wall-to-wall coverage of younger people cramming together in protests.  Blatant disregard for social distancing and nose/mouth coverage was rampant in the video feeds... as was the sudden, total absence of any attempt to enforce those guidelines.  Just a week before that, the news was all about beach restrictions such as dry sand vs. wet sand, keep walking and only in one direction, extreme distancing, limited admission, and outright closures.

I would say we are both correct.  Come June, people relaxed way too much, moreso in younger demographics.

• Like 1

And under “yeah we figured but good to know for sure” heading but at least on topic. Millersville PA Univ has cancelled its big Community/University (IOW homecoming)parade in the Fall. Lot of MB and a DC always there. Millersville is one of the PA State schools who cancelled all fall sports a few days back.

Edited by JimF-LowBari