Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I do that too, but sometimes I will throw in an extra # or two just make people wonder what I was thinking.

I have been known to spend an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out what the word was.  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think it’s fairly obvious that re-opening schools is a risky proposition. 

And I would hope that anyone who is in charge of the well being of kids understands that we must make decisions for them in the most risk-averse way possible. 

It would be much less risky if we had fewer cases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And why is this outlier the only study on this topic that you think is worth considering?  (That was a rhetorical question - you need not answer.)

Answering anyway: I tend to read pretty widely on the news of the day. When I read something relevant to a discusson here, I post a link here. I came across that study. It seemed relevant to the conversation. I posted it. Feel free to post others.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

What is the purpose of posting this on DCP?

This thread, launching from the news that Colorado's marching band governing body has determined that this year's competitions will be cancelled because of the pandemic, has become a discussion of how the outbreak is affecting marching bands and other scholastic or youth activity across the country -- and that often entails considering the situation more broadly.

In that context, of trying to assess how bad or good things are going, I think it's worth noting that some sources are posting highly misleading information, and in my view such misdirection generally aims to play down the risks. I thought the example I shared was particularly egregious: the state of Georgia changed the data in its maps in an apparent attempt to fool the public into thinking that the number of cases there hasn't gone up. (The older maps aren't availble on Georgia's site. They update them every day, and have been changing the numbers without telling anyone.)

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the only thing that has me panicking is the amunt of people acting like they have meidcal degrees or work in healthcare outside of billing offices.

can i get a show of hands from those here throwing out stats, conjecture, expertise etc that actually have hands on experience in dealing with this?

The medical profesionals are too busy saving people's lives to be sharing news with the rest of us, so that leaves the responsibility to concerned citizens.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In that context, of trying to assess how bad or good things are going, I think it's worth noting that some sources are posting highly misleading information, and in my view such misdirection generally aims to play down the risks. I thought the example I shared was particularly egregious: the state of Georgia changed the data in its maps in an apparent attempt to fool the public into thinking that the number of cases there hasn't gone up. (The older maps aren't availble on Georgia's site. They update them every day, and have been changing the numbers without telling anyone.)

Yes, they changed the numbers... they increased them.

So you think Georgia is trying to make people think that the numbers are not going up by... making the numbers go up?

3 hours ago, Continental said:

That's an interesting comment.

We live in an age where information is at our fingertips.  Yet with all that information we have as yet to have an understanding about how to process that information.  Some will take it blindly.  Some will deny it blindly.  Others just might not be offended by this information and do additional investigation to find other sources to back up the claims or disprove them. 

The later part is lacking.  Severely.  People want information handed to them.  Then there are those that want it handed to them to give them the ability to say something contrary.  

So many choose to criticize the source.  Yet they do nothing to inform themselves.

sadly as we have seen, information is skewed on this to fit political narratives on both sides.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

My understanding is that one of them stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last year.  

but they didn't choose Geico

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Panic is the new DCP buzzword 

give it two days