Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

47 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't think DCI has the luxury now of following what any other group chooses to do.  Time is the cure here and just because WGI bails doesn't mean that DCI has to.

Still PLENTY of time.

I wonder... if each corps put out the notice that, effective immediately and until further notice, there would be (highly modified if required) in-person try-outs from November until January.

If I were DCI, I would establish an audition schedule that gave time for cuts to find a home at another corps and hold corps to it:  Top six by December 1st, 6-12 until Dec 15th, 13-22 until January 15 (or even Feb 1st).  And I would negotiate a declining cost for cuts auditioning at second and third camps.  Make it easy and worthwhile (aka: cheaper) to keep trying until they make a corps, if not their dream corps.

All the while, DCI personnel should darn-well be staying in touch with the major venues (regionals, etc) to keep everyone in good spirits, planning, and being ready regardless of which way the decision goes.

If they allow sports stadiums and other group gatherings, drum corps in stadiums is possible.  (Wouldn't one have to say "Better" or "Safer" OUTDOORS?)

Planning to make it happen takes all the time.  Cancelling it takes minutes.

In a weird way and slice of time in the universality, DCI might be thrust into the position of being a leader in the activity.  Will they Box-5?

Thanks for the optimism...very refreshing in the current  doom and gloom that many in America are pushing. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't think DCI has the luxury now of following what any other group chooses to do.  Time is the cure here and just because WGI bails doesn't mean that DCI has to.

Still PLENTY of time.

I wonder... if each corps put out the notice that, effective immediately and until further notice, there would be (highly modified if required) in-person try-outs from November until January.

If I were DCI, I would establish an audition schedule that gave time for cuts to find a home at another corps and hold corps to it:  Top six by December 1st, 6-12 until Dec 15th, 13-22 until January 15 (or even Feb 1st).  And I would negotiate a declining cost for cuts auditioning at second and third camps.  Make it easy and worthwhile (aka: cheaper) to keep trying until they make a corps, if not their dream corps.

All the while, DCI personnel should darn-well be staying in touch with the major venues (regionals, etc) to keep everyone in good spirits, planning, and being ready regardless of which way the decision goes.

If they allow sports stadiums and other group gatherings, drum corps in stadiums is possible.  (Wouldn't one have to say "Better" or "Safer" OUTDOORS?)

Planning to make it happen takes all the time.  Cancelling it takes minutes.

In a weird way and slice of time in the universality, DCI might be thrust into the position of being a leader in the activity.  Will they Box-5?

If you are saying DCI and the corps need to get away from same old same old and start trying things outside of the box/comfort zone to survive I agree.

You can pick yourself off the floor now 😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Katahdin is much bigger than any elephant.

Seriously, I highly recommend a visit to anyone who's up for a strenuous hike to the top.

783px-TjWikiKatahdin.jpg

"That's a negative Ghost Rider"; only of there's a cog train, sky lift, or air tram.  Love the cog train up to Pikes Peak but I think not closed. 🚞 

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

"That's a negative Ghost Rider"; only of there's a cog train, sky lift, or air tram.  Love the cog train up to Pikes Peak but I think not closed. 🚞 

There's a plaque at the bottom of the mountain with a great quote from Baxter himself, the man for whom the park is named:

"Man is born to die, his works are short-lived. Buildings crumble, monuments decay, wealth vanishes. But Katahdin, in all its glory, forever shall remain the mountain of the people of Maine."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, garfield said:

Something tells me that 2021 is not going to be calm no matter what happens with CV-19.

I like the use of "rolling first wave".  It sounds very scientific and proven even though it's general enough to account for virtually any recurrence and imparts a modicum of authority to the user.  Does it work on other forums?  Because it's well-trod standard practice on DCP.

I'd bet some prognosticator a cheap lunch that this years' Christmas spending season will be one for the record books.

i hear the phrase rolling first wave several times from medical experts the last few weeks. thats why i used it

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And one for the record books for shipping instead of face to face delivery..... especially for people on my gift list who think precautions are for other people or you can’t catch anything from family members... 🤯

hope you don't need USPS!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, E3D said:

According to the CDC numbers the deaths and ICU takes a large % increase at 65. 

If I was a teacher over the age of 60 then I would opt out of in school teaching. It would make sense to have that option for those teachers school employees. 

the now 3 people i know that died from it were under 50. one just turned 40

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, garfield said:

It's amazing the lengths to which posters will go to distract from the biggest elephant in the room that no one is allowed to discuss.

Adept or adroit, it's quite entertaining.

the elephant in the room is until Covid is under more control, we don't know what DCI and wGI will look like or how they will operate. i'll be honest, WGI seems to be the better run and more fiscally smart organization.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hope you don't need USPS!

Sister worked Harrisburg and Camp Hill POs leaving 20 years ago. Talk to middle aged guy who does my route (he knows I had a relative at same PO) and... exactly the same complaints from both of them. Which matches what is in the news the last few weeks. 
Too many saying the same thing which lowers the possible BS meter. And sis is not known as a griper.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dans said:

Thanks for the optimism...very refreshing in the current  doom and gloom that many in America are pushing. 

Yes, we should definitely ally ourselves with the light rather than the darkness.

But even right here on DCP, less than a month ago, cixelsyd posted a poll asking if DCI could have a 2021 season even if WGI was cancelled, and 51% of the respondents, i.e., a majority, said yes. I was one of them. Plenty of optimists out there and in here.

• Like 1