Phantom Regiment 2022

23 hours ago, squarepush said:

this is my favorite show of the year and I am equally as concerned. I thought this show was an easy 7th off of the first viewing. What's happening? the visual. its the buffet trays.  I cannot see how they are being treated so harsh without looking at these things floating around the field. But they can't get rid of them. What to do

Make them a part of the performance. Don’t just move them around or treat them like obstacles; treat them like an opportunity to perform. Make moving them a part of the show — do it in character. It’s too late to get rid of them. But whether or not they’re actually a pain in the butt, the audience shouldn’t be thinking “Those look like they’re a pain in the butt.”  

That’s one of the big differences between shows that make props look seamless and corps that make the props seem like a problem. 

Also, get the alignments right. It’s no different than drill: the forms have to be clean. But that’s a problem that I’m sure they’re working on.  

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, saxfreq1128 said:

Make them a part of the performance. Don’t just move them around or treat them like obstacles; treat them like an opportunity to perform. Make moving them a part of the show — do it in character. It’s too late to get rid of them. But whether or not they’re actually a pain in the butt, the audience shouldn’t be thinking “Those look like they’re a pain in the butt.”  

That’s one of the big differences between shows that make props look seamless and corps that make the props seem like a problem. 

Also, get the alignments right. It’s no different than drill: the forms have to be clean. But that’s a problem that I’m sure they’re working on.  

Disagree.  They use them the whole show.  In fact in the beginning he walks the whole way like a road.  Then again I am not a prop-aholic.  The focus needs to be the people doing drum corps and they are accomplishing that far more than others this year.  Will they get credit when they get it cleaned up?  Dunno.  But I can say unlike some other corps this year their show stands on it's own with or without props and that should be where DCI should be heading.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, college-phan said:

Closer at DeKalb

Pretty good video for hearing just how loud that hornline is

I mean it IS loud - I think the quality of sound might be more of what the judges are responding to. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I mean it IS loud - I think the quality of sound might be more of what the judges are responding to. 

The quality is fine.  This is what brass instruments sound like at these volumes.  The fact they are actually playing the music and are heard over the amps...they should be getting points for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The quality is fine.  This is what brass instruments sound like at these volumes.  The fact they are actually playing the music and are heard over the amps...they should be getting points for this.

You can hear individuals leaving and sticking out when they come back in, intonation is a bit off as well. Phantom is no stranger to dramatic improvements over the course of the season. Their brass is fun to listen to due to volume right now, they’ll be even more fun to listen to later in the season when they iron out all these kinks and build up their chops 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You can hear individuals leaving and sticking out when they come back in, intonation is a bit off as well. Phantom is no stranger to dramatic improvements over the course of the season. Their brass is fun to listen to due to volume right now, they’ll be even more fun to listen to later in the season when they iron out all these kinks and build up their chops 

Fair enough.  Unlike quite a few they actually get your heart beating on their impacts.

• Like 2

While the power is there, the tone quality sounds pretty brash on video - may be different in person. The sonority that say Crown or Boston have is different even though they certainly also have power. I heard some say that the PR staff is intentionally having them really blow now to build endurance. If so, maybe they’ll round out the tone and balance as they clean?

• Like 6