Phantom Regiment 2022

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You can hear individuals leaving and sticking out when they come back in, intonation is a bit off as well. Phantom is no stranger to dramatic improvements over the course of the season. Their brass is fun to listen to due to volume right now, they’ll be even more fun to listen to later in the season when they iron out all these kinks and build up their chops 

I believe we are hearing the process. Young horn members, excited by last years book and the response it got, show up this year and are handed this! Can you imagine how exciting it would be to perform this book? I'm hearing the experience level, yes, but they are DOING THE #### THING! This old dog is happy!

My rook year with PR was '83 and there was almost zero concern for intonation. It was literally about how much air could you put through your horn. (euphonium) 
We were certainly strong from the start. Scores were arguably less affected as a result of the talent and experience we had, but it was the process. See '86-89 for a great example of the PR hornline pedagogy.

As the members get stronger throughout the season the performance will regulate. There will be a switch to balance and intonation at some point, to some degree. I do not think they will sacrifice timing, volume and impact. It's viceral. That is generating the excitement we like. 🙂

This 2022 show will improve retention and hopefully bring talent in who "get it". It is not about scores.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Good morning all! Well, here's my take on my beloved corps. This is the best thing they've done since 2012 by far however, the design is still NOT what is going to score them points with the judges. There is a noticeable lack of narration (even though I hate narration), the props are minimalistic (even though I'm not a fan of props), even the use of synths seems tame by today's standards. Five years ago, this may have been a top 6 or 7 show. Today I see it as 10th at best. 

Unfortunately, the story telling is left to the imagination however, perhaps there is a plan to add narration to it at some point. You know, talking about life's journey and that no matter how far we stray, or how difficult the path, there is always a place to call home. I envision a voice-over of Dorothy saying, 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'. Okay, that last part was a little bit of sarcasm.  

OUT!

Regiment has a theme 'cause.. you know.. gotta have a theme I guess? 
Some concepts work better than others. This years' is seemingly esoteric to the corps. Not sure. We are beating a kid half to death in the middle of the field.
I think it's best to not let it get too much on the dot. 

77.8 tonight. I may be wrong at the end of the season, but I believe we will see a 6th or 7th place finish. There’s a lot of season left, and I believe they are going to surprise everyone with their placement. The intonation and sonority will be in place by the end of the month, if tradition tells us anything. This is the beginning of a new wave of success for Phantom. It goes up and down every 10 years or so. It’s just fun to be a fan again. 

Also, as someone who was at finals night in Indy last year and regularly rewatches that show, there must be something subliminal in the video, because it causes me to cry for the last minute of the show. If anyone knows about what causes this, please let me know. I have trouble seeing the end clearly every stinking time. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, PRomoter said:

> respectfully snipped <

Also, as someone who was at finals night in Indy last year and regularly rewatches that show, there must be something subliminal in the video, because it causes me to cry for the last minute of the show. If anyone knows about what causes this, please let me know. I have trouble seeing the end clearly every stinking time. 

To shamelessly borrow a discussion point from another thread - "familiarity, development of the musical phrase, impactful drill vs staging..."

:peek:

Edited by gak27
grammar

On 7/10/2022 at 3:18 PM, crumdorpslove said:

Makes me sad to say, but I think the colorguard and visual will hold phantom back significantly in scoring. The guard isn’t only weak, but they spend too much time pushing around props and transitioning. Not one part of the show was I impressed with their handling of equipment. Hopefully it gets better.  

The guard design is horrible. That staff should’ve been trashed after what they did last year.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PRomoter said:

77.8 tonight. I may be wrong at the end of the season, but I believe we will see a 6th or 7th place finish. There’s a lot of season left, and I believe they are going to surprise everyone with their placement. The intonation and sonority will be in place by the end of the month, if tradition tells us anything. This is the beginning of a new wave of success for Phantom. It goes up and down every 10 years or so. It’s just fun to be a fan again. 

I think their perc score will cause them issues this year from getting a top 6 finish (i hope im wrong).

I agree that the new wave might be on us to put PR back to where they used to be in the early 90s but the percussion scores and staff are going to hold them back IMO.

1 hour ago, SJugster said:

I think their perc score will cause them issues this year from getting a top 6 finish (i hope im wrong).

I agree that the new wave might be on us to put PR back to where they used to be in the early 90s but the percussion scores and staff are going to hold them back IMO.

I was hoping that having Shaw back as brass arranger would push Ferguson to arrange differently and more aggressively, kind of like what happened with Rennick when he joined Phantom in 2003, but I sadly don’t think that’s the case. Ferguson arrangements are cool, don’t get me wrong, but it just seems like they’re not effective in maximizing points. Brass will buoy them enough to rise some, but to be a perennial contender in the top six something has got to change with percussion.

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

The guard design is horrible. That staff should’ve been trashed after what they did last year.

Also, agreed. The day after finals the guard staff needs to be canned. A) They should’ve been fired after the developments of last year and B) the guard design has been terrible every year under this staff. I’d at least understand trying to move past the scandals if they had a Boston-caliber guard design staff (although it would still be morally wrong ofc), but there’s absolutely no reason to protect them with such languishing success year-in and year-out.

• Like 2