Phantom Regiment 2022

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

This is why I use a stopwatch.  Some people here on DCP always belittle it but it's precisely the point.  The point is when you generate more "judgeable" content your achievement scores. when clean, should reflect that of a corps HIGHER than those that don't generate the same content.  Standing and playing or NOT playing as is the case often is not the same as playing and marching.  GE is more than who puts the most crap on the field, although some here would post ad nauseam, that this is the case.  For "me" I perceive higher scores for those marching intricate drill and playing vs standing on a ramp doing the same thing.  We don't need everyone rushing to be doing the same thing.  It's unhealthy for ANY activity that deals with art.  BTW kudos for Regiment this year showcasing your tuba section rather than burying it under low end synth.  What a refreshing and needed change. 

Always wondered what the average "stop" time corps to corps, i.e. no drill going on, just stand and play. That's always an active DCP debate- corps A does a lot, corps B doesn't do hardly any. Got any numbers you'd care to share? 

Roll call for Phans along the Texas Tour! 

Really enjoying the adjustments and tuning to the show this stretch of the summer. Hoping that the block drill and formation in the Mahler closer is just a placeholder for a Chevron set, it would be epic build-up and finishing touch to an emphatic finale. The members are performing the heck out of this show, lots of growth musically and visually, and I'm excited to see where it leads in August.

I'll be at the Denton show tonight, and I know Regiment is going to rock it. We are thankful for the weather today, hope to see other Phans in the lot!

LET'S GO REGIMENT!

• Like 2

I'd rather see them clean the snot out of it and get credit for the demand.  For the last few competitive seasons, Regiment has not had nearly enough demand.  If they get it clean, they will see improvement in both content and achievement (whether it's really supposed to work that way or not).  Just my opinion.

Edited by TexasPRfan

3 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

I'd rather see them clean the snot out of it and get credit of the demand.  For the last few competitive seasons, Regiment has not had nearly enough demand.  If they get it clean, they will see improvement in both content and achievement (whether it's really supposed to work that way or not).  Just my opinion.

Pretty sure Bob Smith is on staff.  It'll get clean....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, jwillis35 said:

I think Phantom has a very good and musical percussion section this year. Sometimes I think we have to take a step back and realize that all the top 12 percussion sections, and more, are really good. It's not that something is killing Phantom's line, it's more the case that they are outstanding and unfortunately there are some outstanding lines in front of them who may be cleaner, or where the book is coming across better. 

It's all a matter of performance. Having seen Phantom's show about 4 times on FLO (which is not a good place to judge anything, let's be honest) I do not get the sense that they cannot play. In fact I think they have fabulous percussionists, and the pit is wonderful. Honestly they just need to clean. In the end the judges will decide if they clean, but if they don't move up much it's only because other talented drum lines edged them. 

Oh I agree 100%. It's a solid line. And I think that musically the front ensemble is quite good. Hearing them in isolation, you can see and hear the quality of instruction they are getting. Playing together for years is the biggest advantage that any line can have and I think we all know that. The lines which are above them in the caption are stacked with vets with maybe the exception of BD's snare line (from what I understand.) And even they are struggling a bit this year compared to previous lines. 

Cleaning is a progressive process. In a battery especially, it's about playing reps and settling in and listening down the line. As you hear your partner to your right or left play something over and over again, you pick up on their style. Do they tend to push harder into specific rudiments with grip pressure? Do they treat each passage the same as you do? There's a LOT. It works in phases. First it's getting it under your hands and feet. Then you focus on quality of sound. Then you shave the hair and make it clean. It goes back to "perfect practice makes perfect" and that takes time. 

As far as the book goes, I go back to this being a very "stock" drum corps book. It's pretty matchy matchy. That's NOT a bad thing. Especially when you are building a line. If this same group is back next year, they will be OUTSTANDING. I'm sure it works the same in guard and hornlines. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Pretty sure Bob Smith is on staff.  It'll get clean....

Love his name. Always sounds like someone just made up a name and said, “Bill Johnson will fix it. He can fix anything!”

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Love his name. Always sounds like someone just made up a name and said, “Bill Johnson will fix it. He can fix anything!”

"So 'Bob Smith'......if that's your REAL name..."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, PRomoter said:

What a great performance! I thought they wouldn’t be able to top last year for me, but this is such a great show. I think this will be one we fans are listening to loooooong after this season. I also have to say the guard has really stepped it up in the last week. There is some killer rifle work going on. I’m not a huge fan of pumping up the volume on the front ensemble, nor the ethereal ahhs, but I am old school. I loved ‘93 when they were out in the field. However, I love the bass reinforcement, and the bass drops add a lot. 

Lost me at amplification.  Nothing makes brass sound more unnatural and off tune than amplification.  Apparently, lung capacity must not be what it once was.