Phantom Regiment 2022

On 8/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I want to be clear on something and I preface this by saying you all know much I luuuurrrvvvveeee PR. So much in fact that people ask me if I marched PR. I did NOT. I got cut from PR in 1989 very early. 

All of this being said:

Unfortunately, it's going to have to be clean in order to bring up the scores. There was a pretty solid lot video from ATL that came out this week. I would challenge any of my percussion brothers and sisters to take a listen and see if you hear the same things that I do. It's just not clean. The hands look "heavy" almost like they are pushing too hard (especially taps and going into rolls.) I don't know if it's just interpretation from player to player or what. I also notice that those really grey rolls clean up the lower the volume gets (makes sense as less tension and "intention" in the hands because of lower volume would balance the sound from player to player.)

Let's say this. It's a good battery (especially the bass line.) But it's 2nd tier top 12. If it was clean, I would put it top 6 (maybe 5th) as the book is pretty good. I do NOT think that with as little time is left in the season, we are going to see significant changes. The snare feature is an interesting little beastie. But said beastie is super exposed. I watched a video of maybe 3 runs of the same block and picked up some hair on each run but at different spots in general. Think of it like dirty anything.....if it's dirty, DON'T EXPOSE IT.

Not sure if you watched the Agedout podcast review the Atl lot video or just the video itself but this is exactly their assessment.

very heavy handed. I love me some strong quality taps but you can push it too far to the point it doesn’t feel comfortable or flow out of the hands.

34 minutes ago, SJugster said:

maybe not a '22 question but when did PR stop playing amazing grace in their encore performances?

This year I have noticed them doing Elsa's, Cannon and even Nessun but no Amazing Grace. 

I think Amazing Grace is now more of a tribute. I could be wrong.  But heck, they’ve got such a treasure trove of pieces to work with. What I’d give to hear Fire of Eternal Glory from this horn line. Ditto for Claire de Lune

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3

Show of the year for me when it comes to emotion.  If you haven't, check out Dan Potter's fb post when they filmed Regiment's conductor at Allentown.  Goosebumps galore.  I have choked up every time I've seen them over the broadcast.  I seriously will probably shed a tear or two for all three performances when I see them live for the first time this season.  Placement does not matter at this point, we got the passion of Regiment back.  I know the activity has to move on and forward but at least those who are young can feel through Regiment's performance why we love this activity so much. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SJugster said:

maybe not a '22 question but when did PR stop playing amazing grace in their encore performances?

This year I have noticed them doing Elsa's, Cannon and even Nessun but no Amazing Grace. 

Pretty sure they alternate through encore pieces. A few years ago it was Bacchanale, then Dvorak's 9th, this year it's Nessun Dorma. When you got as many phan favorite pieces as Phantom, you can't keep to only a few!

5 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Pretty sure they alternate through encore pieces. A few years ago it was Bacchanale, then Dvorak's 9th, this year it's Nessun Dorma. When you got as many phan favorite pieces as Phantom, you can't keep to only a few!

Phantom Regiment has the best encore in the business. I don't think any other corps come close to Phantom's list of classics 

• Like 2

They sounded fantastic in Akron tonight. The double tonguing passage was so tight like it hasn’t been the whole season. Everything was up a notch. Love the chevron, but if you blink you miss it. I don’t know that I’d change the “company front” at the end. It’s dramatic and big and bad melt your face off in the stands. I doubt there will be any other changes, but it is great the way it is. Gosh I’m proud of them. This show! Thanks PR! You made my summer. On to Indy!

• Like 6

Their Facebook post today says there are still changes to be made. Doubt they are big changes unless they have been practicing them and just haven't put them in during a performance yet.

• Thanks 2