2022 Season Predictions

After several viewing this season. This is my updated prediction of Drum Corp 2022.

Tier 1: Boston Crusader, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown

SCV (transitional corp) - has beaten Blue Devils in several captions/subcaptions (4 head to head competitions) with an incomplete show (GE, visual proficiency/analysis, Music analysis, Percussion).  

Tier 2: SCV - could easily see a surge with the right ending, visual tweaking, Cadets, Mandarins, Phantom Regiment

Tier 3: Blue Knights, Cavaliers (struggling in the visual/color guard arena = lower GE potential, Academy, Blue Stars, Crossmen

Tier 4: Colts, Madison Scouts, Troopers, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest 

Edited by Box5Opinion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

After several viewing this season. This is my updated prediction of Drum Corp 2022.

Tier 1: Boston Crusader, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown

SCV (transitional corp) - has beaten Blue Devils in several captions/subcaptions (4 head to head competitions) with an incomplete show (GE, visual proficiency/analysis, Music analysis, Percussion).  

Tier 2: SCV - could easily see a surge with the right ending, visual tweaking, Cadets, Mandarins, Phantom Regiment

Tier 3: Blue Knights, Cavaliers (struggling in the visual/color guard arena = lower GE potential, Academy, Blue Stars, Crossmen

Tier 4: Colts, Madison Scouts, Troopers, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest 

BD/SCV has went head to head four times so far. 

SCV has a total of 12 subcaption, and two caption victories over BD out of a possible 96 in four matchups.

And the two caption wins they have won over BD is percussion, and that is tied up 2-2 with BD winning two. 

So with a total record of 14-82 vs BD in caption/subcaptions, please explain how that is "Several" according to your words. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BD/SCV has went head to head four times so far. 

SCV has a total of 12 subcaption, and two caption victories over BD out of a possible 96 in four matchups.

And the two caption wins they have won over BD is percussion, and that is tied up 2-2 with BD winning two. 

So with a total record of 14-82 vs BD in caption/subcaptions, please explain how that is "Several" according to your words. 

Just pointing out that the Blue Devils show (complete, yes, is an amazing production, but it is not the monolith of the program) from years past. Anything can happen in two weeks (San Antonio), let alone at finals.  I would be more concerned with the point spread between Blue Devils and SCV. Just my 2 cents! 

• Like 3

I have an odd feeling that there is a Brass instructor who is going to probably have a lot more time on his hands to work with a certain corps during the summer relatively soon (unless he decides to leave the industry in the entirety which could happen) and if he does I see him starting to become a big time mainstay for the program and soon they'll be competing for Ott's right alongside Harloff and Crown year to year.

I think he is cementing himself as one of THE best brass instructors in the country, bar only Harloff. But it depends on if he is losing his love for the activity itself, or his love for teaching where he is during the year. From what I have seen on recent posts with social media and what I know about him personally, I think it is only the latter.

I am being intentionally vague because I don't know for a fact if this guy is leaving his program right now, but it is pretty obvious he is very close to it. One of the premier programs in the country, and unfortunately I think they are about to lose their shining star. Has nothing to do with the students or anything he did, thankfully.

This will likely have no implications on 2022 unless he makes a big decision sometime this summer, but I thought I would point this out. 

• Confused 3

17 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I have an odd feeling that there is a Brass instructor who is going to probably have a lot more time on his hands to work with a certain corps during the summer relatively soon (unless he decides to leave the industry in the entirety which could happen) and if he does I see him starting to become a big time mainstay for the program and soon they'll be competing for Ott's right alongside Harloff and Crown year to year.

I think he is cementing himself as one of THE best brass instructors in the country, bar only Harloff. But it depends on if he is losing his love for the activity itself, or his love for teaching where he is during the year. From what I have seen on recent posts with social media and what I know about him personally, I think it is only the latter.

I am being intentionally vague because I don't know for a fact if this guy is leaving his program right now, but it is pretty obvious he is very close to it. One of the premier programs in the country, and unfortunately I think they are about to lose their shining star. Has nothing to do with the students or anything he did, thankfully.

This will likely have no implications on 2022 unless he makes a big decision sometime this summer, but I thought I would point this out. 

Point what out exactly? Not sure what the point of this point was 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Point what out exactly? Not sure what the point of this point was 

I was trying to point out that there is a Brass instructor teaching at a corps this summer that may be leaving the other program they also teach at year round somewhat soon and will potentially have more time to work with that corps if he doesn't leave the activity entirely (which I don't anticipate). He usually misses finals week and sometimes time beforehand because he has to return to the other program, plus he'd be able to be more invested in what he is already doing there emotionally and physically which is always a good thing. 

And also trying to make the point that once he does start working with that corps a lot more full time if you will, the corps' brass is only going to skyrocket more than they already are and will soon be competing for Ott trophies yearly. 

I was simply making a prediction on how I think this can and would affect the corps he works at, even through a long, backroad way. Probably could have been more direct to the point. 

Edited by MadisonBandMan1
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

Just pointing out that the Blue Devils show (complete, yes, is an amazing production, but it is not the monolith of the program) from years past. Anything can happen in two weeks (San Antonio), let alone at finals.  I would be more concerned with the point spread between Blue Devils and SCV. Just my 2 cents! 

I don’t know… looking at DCI west (pre-Covid, was happening late June) BD was leading SCV by .95 in 2017 and trailing SCV by .65 in 2019. Both championship years, so this kind of spread over SCV (historically) is a great place to be for BD.

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now I’m looking for clues. 

You're better than me! Even if someone left their year-round job to spend more time with their corps, I don't see it transforming a brass line into another Ott worthy Crown sound alike > unless I'm missing something... 🤣

• Like 5