Drums Along The Waterfront (Buffalo)

44 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So Buffalo was fun, if you visited Canada?

The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is much better than the US side. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They don’t call it indianoplace fer nuthin’.  Sorry, the Chicago in me slipped out. 

Even in Ft. Wayne we knew that term.  We Ft. Wayne kids went down to Muncie for college and laughed when some of our fellow students would refer to going to Indy as "visiting the Big City."    That mean a trip to Chicago or Detroit for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess I got put off by the cameras all over the parking lot at Anchor Bar. 

odd, never saw any. but in our trips in the 90's you had Jim kellys and a bunch of great places downtown by that mall, got a tour of the ballpark, yeah we hit up Canada for part of a day each time..great shopping you can't get here!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

So Buffalo was fun, if you visited Canada?

for part of a day sure. you can buy things there you can't here.....Molson XXX for example.

• Like 1

Buffalo, especially downtown, is better today! I live in Jacksonville and UGH! I'd rather be in Buffalo (or Rochester for my Rochester friends - commercial used in the late 70's/early 80's).

Yeh US side of Niagara Falls is way better but you only go to watch the water go over the edge and then you leave.

Indianapolis Op-Ed:  :spitting:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Indy for DCI, PASIC, & BOA events.  It's just a clean city designed for conventions.  The layout is easy to walk to Lucas Oil or the convention center with plenty of great food in all price ranges.  Even has a several great cigar bars downtown: (2) include Nicky Blaines & Burn by Rocky Patel.

When I go to these events, I just want to eat, sleep, drink, & enjoy the shows/convention.  (Yup, I know; boring.)  I've been to just about every major cities in the lower 48 & I prefer Indy for the DCI/BOA events.  Money invested in tickets, hotel, airfare, etc is too much of a risk with a potential weather event to ruin finals.  (Spent several days in Jackson, MS one year)  

Looking at new venues, Vegas would be nice, but how are the acoustics in that new stadium?  So Fi stadium acoustics in LA?  Mercedes-Benz is really pretty awful but I'd rather be in there than the old baseball venue booked for 2022.  I think DCI has prepped Lucas Oil to the max to cut down on the natural reverb.  And most corps now use that reverb in their designs for some incredible musical moments.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Indianapolis Op-Ed:  :spitting:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Indy for DCI, PASIC, & BOA events.  It's just a clean city designed for conventions.  The layout is easy to walk to Lucas Oil or the convention center with plenty of great food in all price ranges.  Even has a several great cigar bars downtown: (2) include Nicky Blaines & Burn by Rocky Patel.

When I go to these events, I just want to eat, sleep, drink, & enjoy the shows/convention.  (Yup, I know; boring.)  I've been to just about every major cities in the lower 48 & I prefer Indy for the DCI/BOA events.  Money invested in tickets, hotel, airfare, etc is too much of a risk with a potential weather event to ruin finals.  (Spent several days in Jackson, MS one year)  

Looking at new venues, Vegas would be nice, but how are the acoustics in that new stadium?  So Fi stadium acoustics in LA?  Mercedes-Benz is really pretty awful but I'd rather be in there than the old baseball venue booked for 2022.  I think DCI has prepped Lucas Oil to the max to cut down on the natural reverb.  And most corps now use that reverb in their designs for some incredible musical moments.       

Of course it's designed for conventions because there is nothing else to do. And DCI and Boa are not conventions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Continental said:

That stuff doesn't even taste like beer.  I'm sure they use it to clean car engines. 

I always liked Brador, but then again, it’s brewed in Etobicoke 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Of course it's designed for conventions because there is nothing else to do. And DCI and Boa are not conventions.

Well, I actually disagree that it's not a convention.  But everyone is entitled to their opinion.  (Spend some time earlier in the week with I&E plus the other potential meetings/opportunities.)  It's basically the same as PASIC/Mid-West with less clinics & a smaller exhibition area.  Plus as a creature of habit, I like not having to deal with surprises in other cities as I use to with the PASIC convention changing locations every year.  (Mid-West has been in Chicago forever for this reasons.)    

The airport is basically hassle free & Indy is located near the center of the country.  I feel like DCI made a great decision on Indy that actually saves money on the venue with a long-term contract.  (I feel the same about Dayton for WGI.)  

But, that's just my opinion as a band director, former corps staff member, & now just a fan who goes every year.  This year I have a former student aging out with Boston.  And I can't wait till summer...   "Eat 'em up Boston"!    

• Like 1