Airfare impact on DCI 2022

I’ve had great luck on Southwest Airlines since March 2020, but following Allentown, my Sunday, August 7 2:40PM flight from Philadelphia to Chicago was cancelled Sunday morning at 11AM due to “the weather”. 

I was rebooked to the next day on the first available flight: Monday, August 8 at 8:30PM. Others were rebooked to Tuesday.

During my annual drive between Philly and Allentown on 476, I’ve always passed the Valley Forge exit, thinking one day, I need to visit.

With the airline hiccup, I finally had plenty of time for a wonderful, unplanned trip to Valley Forge.

I liked Washington’s headquarters, the monuments, the train depot, the chapel, and the grounds.

As it was a weather delay, Southwest was unable to cover a night’s lodging or a Red Lobster dinner in King of Prussia, but they shared a $250 travel voucher good for a year - which I’ll easily use.

I returned the rental car Monday at 12:30PM, with plenty of reading material ahead of the 8:30PM flight.

At the Southwest counter, I asked if anything was available before 8:30PM, and I lucked into the last seat on the delayed 12:30PM flight, which eventually departed at 2:15PM.

Valley Forge became a National Park on July 4, 1976 during President Gerald Ford’s tenure.

I’m back in Chicago, enjoying a few souvenir Wawa pretzels.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

My favorite nuns were in the Blues Brothers movies

Yep

Any DCP-ers flying into IND today or tomorrow, please give us a report.  I'd like to compare to my flight experience which was delayed 7.5 hours by Delta.  I canceled my flight for refund & decided to drive.  I made it to the hotel before my flight departed.  Ridiculous.

IND weather looks great for the rest of the week.  Godspeed! 🛫   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Any DCP-ers flying into IND today or tomorrow, please give us a report.  I'd like to compare to my flight experience which was delayed 7.5 hours by Delta.  I canceled my flight for refund & decided to drive.  I made it to the hotel before my flight departed.  Ridiculous.

I’m at Atlanta airport now. My flight is on time.  It’s pretty busy.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mjyaub said:

I’m at Atlanta airport now. My flight is on time.  It’s pretty busy.

When my original flight was delayed, I was bumped from my Delta 'comfort' seat on my new connection in ATL.  Checked the seating chart & the flight was completely full.  So I just said 'nope'.  Plus my return departure was scheduled for 2pm from IND because I didn't want to get up early after finals.    

They just said on the news that there were some 7000+ delays 7 cancelations on Monday?  Crazy.  My departure was the first flight out @5:15am so the 737 must have not made it in on Sunday night.  Maybe everything has worked itself out by today.  

40 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

When my original flight was delayed, I was bumped from my Delta 'comfort' seat on my new connection in ATL.  Checked the seating chart & the flight was completely full.  So I just said 'nope'.  Plus my return departure was scheduled for 2pm from IND because I didn't want to get up early after finals.    

They just said on the news that there were some 7000+ delays 7 cancelations on Monday?  Crazy.  My departure was the first flight out @5:15am so the 737 must have not made it in on Sunday night.  Maybe everything has worked itself out by today.  

My flight is now delayed 30 minutes.  I spoke to soon.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

It’s going to be cold Friday night.  Well, at least, to me.  59 degrees. I bought a jacket. 

• Like 2