Airfare impact on DCI 2022

8 minutes ago, ironlips said:

My grandfather, Frank L'Eveque, was an engineer on the NY Central and he drove the 20th Century back then. I have always been fond of train travel, but there is one caveat: Departures at the origin are on-time, but do not expect to arrive at your destination without a delay.

In old Frank's day, things ran a lot tighter. Plan accordingly.

Boo hiss NYC (kidding since they were competitors). Had a grandfather who did mail car for Pennsylvania Railroad. My grandmother lived at Renova, PA which had a big PRR refurbishing yard. That’s how they met but he was a lot older so never met him. Digging up info on his job and the Renova yards (since closed) on my retirement list also.

Edit for everyone else: NYC is New York Central. NYC and PRR combined to be Penn Central later renamed Amtrak.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Looked at Amtrak for my Indy transportation this year. It was definitely less expensive than what I'm paying to fly. The drawback was the time. Depending on the route, layovers, etc., it takes between 28 - 36 hours each way from Boston.

I checked as well.  I think it was going to take me about three days connecting in ATL/DC or New Orleans/Chicago.  But if I had the extra time...  

https://amtrakguide.com/routes/

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

Just checked with Delta, both outbound and return still a go for finals.🤞

Edited by mjyaub
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Be prepared for delays and cancellations. I was in Atlanta airport yesterday--almost got bumped off my flight. It will be airport chaos until after Labour Day. Don't check a bag--travel ight with a carry-on. It will be hot in Indy, so what do you need other than a few tee-shirts and shorts.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Be prepared for delays and cancellations. I was in Atlanta airport yesterday--almost got bumped off my flight. It will be airport chaos until after Labour Day. Don't check a bag--travel ight with a carry-on. It will be hot in Indy, so what do you need other than a few tee-shirts and shorts.  

Packing lite; only going to be taking my mask, undies, & short shorts.  Going shirtless but I might purchase a shirt when I get to Indy so I can eat at Ruth's Chris, St Elmo, & Harry & Izzy's. (some kind of shirt policy)  😁😇     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Packing lite; only going to taking my mask, undies, & short shorts.  Going shirtless but I might purchase a shirt when I get to Indy so I can eat at Ruth's Chris, St Elmo, & Harry & Izzy's. (some kind of shirt policy)  😁😇     

😂 Collared shirt.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

For y'all flying into IND, have you checked the history of your flights?  Flying Delta via ATL and so far so good.  Only 2 cancelations in early June & we're about 3 weeks out for departure.  You can also check your flight history in Flight Aware.   

https://flightaware.com 

I’m good to Cincinnati so far. I check daily.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 6:16 PM, Tim K said:

I can’t say I remember Colts props being ruined, but that’s not to say it did’t happen.  Since you mention props, it must have been 2005 because I don’t recall props in 1994, when finals was held in the old Foxboro Stadium. Gillette was a bit rushed in construction. The old stadium which wasn’t that old was a pit. In the days when you could not give Patriots tickets away, the place was always trashed. When the Patriots began winning, a new stadium was needed and the construction of the stadium, the soccer venue, shopping center and office buildings, hotel, etc, along with removal of the horse track and original stadium mean non stop construction. Personally I found 2005 better than 1994, but I  grew up two towns away from the stadium, so I knew how to avoid traffic nightmares. 

In some ways Foxboro is ideal for an event the size of finals. The town of Foxboro and the state police have managing traffic down pat. There is ample parking though it is pricey. The major setback would still be hotels for people from out of town. The hotels are expensive and not walking distance to the stadium. Even your mid price and lower price chains are expensive. Motel 6 in Indy is $59 a night in August, in Framingham, MA outside of Boston, it’s $119. Holiday Inn Express, $164, $269 outside of Boston. You’d need to rent a car which would only add to the cost.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Packing lite; only going to be taking my mask, undies, & short shorts.  Going shirtless but I might purchase a shirt when I get to Indy so I can eat at Ruth's Chris, St Elmo, & Harry & Izzy's. (some kind of shirt policy)  😁😇     

I always pack lite.  Moved a family of 4 to Japan & we lived out of 2 suitcases for a month.  Could have done it in 1 suitcase if I didn't have to pack uniforms.

• Like 2