Abuse in Drum Corps

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree words can hurt, sometimes for life.  

And yes, it may be a part of the culture of a Corps, and the real reason they, in this case a former DCI champion, have been struggling over the last several competitive seasons.  SoA was allowing stuff as well, and fail to make finals.  On the other hand, look at Boston & BD, who don't put up with this kind of BS from anyone.  Could their organizational structure contribute to their competitive success?

One could say to their standards struggling big-time!! Not to hit ‘em while they’re down, but yeah, a rotting culture can be a contributing factor. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

It isn’t just “only words” either, this wasn’t only a fleeting on-the-field incident but involving the same staff in what should’ve been a more professional and respectful environment in their one-on-one meeting, but instead the disrespect and trust that they had with the organization they were part of for YEARS was broken, it takes a LOT for it to get that way. It really is simply professionals not being professional at all, to an alarming extent to where you say to a non-binary individual, “don’t MAKE me call you by your deadname” it’s a pure lack of decency and respect, and that wasn’t even what really caused them to lose faith in their leadership if one simply reads their story.

That is abusive speech along the lines of "look what YOU MADE me do" when in fact it is the abuser that is responsible for the bad behavior.

I've seen countless situations of abusers using this type of language. It is mentally damaging and unacceptable.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That is abusive speech along the lines of "look what YOU MADE me do" when in fact it is the abuser that is responsible for the bad behavior.

I've seen countless situations of abusers using this type of language. It is mentally damaging and unacceptable.

100% agree.  But at the same time I think that most would agree that something like sexual assault is even worse. 

Occurs to me that toxic culture is akin to a chronic condition, whereas physical assault is more of an acute condition.   Both are bad, but are managed in different ways.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Aka victim shaming. “If you hadn’t (whatever) then I wouldn’t have (whatever).”

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Aka victim shaming. “If you hadn’t (whatever) then I wouldn’t have (whatever).”

I've seen it happen after terrible acts of violence; too many stories to tell.

I used to own a mental health clinic, and we saw many variations on this theme, after abusers perform many terrible acts ( great and small).

We don't need this type of behavior in DCI, and staffs should be warned from this particular type of injury.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I've seen it happen after terrible acts of violence; too many stories to tell.

I used to own a mental health clinic, and we saw many variations on this theme, after abusers perform many terrible acts ( great and small).

We don't need this type of behavior in DCI, and staffs should be warned from this particular type of injury.

Far as I know, no one around me was attacked physically. Did have to give information about verbal abuse. Guy did not think women could do IT work and was too full of himself to keep quiet about it. So my female co-worker led a presentation (she did most of the work) and was told “don’t know why a woman is talking”. I had been around long enough to know his history so backed her up when she filed the report. Kept his job but management FINALLY put him somewhere where he wouldn’t be around people. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Far as I know, no one around me was attacked physically. Did have to give information about verbal abuse. Guy did not think women could do IT work and was too full of himself to keep quiet about it. So my female co-worker led a presentation (she did most of the work) and was told “don’t know why a woman is talking”. I had been around long enough to know his history so backed her up when she filed the report. Kept his job but management FINALLY put him somewhere where he wouldn’t be around people. 

THAT's Absurd!

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

THAT's Absurd!

Yep one of the good old boys who started when working with computers and math was “man’s work”. He had such a bad history that was ignored I think management was afraid to do anything because their past inaction would come out. Someone told me “well you know how he is”. My response was unprintable.

He retired (pushed out?) and took a private industry job. Fired because he told a customer they didn’t know what they were doing. One guy who knew him said “well the real problem was they were stupid enough to let him out in public”. I think he had some kind of autism, smart in certain areas but no idea how to act around humans. He wrecked his car once because he was thinking about a work problem…. and ran a red light.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep one of the good old boys who started when working with computers and math was “man’s work”. He had such a bad history that was ignored I think management was afraid to do anything because their past inaction would come out. Someone told me “well you know how he is”. My response was unprintable.

He retired (pushed out?) and took a private industry job. Fired because he told a customer they didn’t know what they were doing. One guy who knew him said “well the real problem was they were stupid enough to let him out in public”. I think he had some kind of autism, smart in certain areas but no idea how to act around humans. He wrecked his car once because he was thinking about a work problem…. and ran a red light.

Finding good techs that can be around people...a rare breed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Finding good techs that can be around people...a rare breed.

Good Techs are worth their weight in gold. They are the ones who make the vision clear and attainable. One that knows how to reach a member, develop and add to the growth of a member is worth even more IMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1