Wednesday, July 6th ... "Summer Music Games in Cincinnati" ... Dwire Field at Alumni Stadium ... Mason, OHIO

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Has anyone seen crossmens show twice to tell if they start at different points?

I’ve seen it on Flo twice and it was different 

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Has anyone seen crossmens show twice to tell if they start at different points?

Detroit and tonight started at the “beginning” (which I only feel comfortable calling it that because that’s what they chose to start with in Detroit). Muncie started at the end of “movement 3” beginning of “movement 4”. Those are the three times I’ve seen it. 

Just now, g00fyg00ber said:

Detroit and tonight started at the “beginning” (which I only feel comfortable calling it that because that’s what they chose to start with in Detroit). Muncie started at the end of “movement 3” beginning of “movement 4”. Those are the three times I’ve seen it. 

Wonder if judges seeing a second time is some of the boost recently. Not sure how the effect plays out to them. 

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Wonder if judges seeing a second time is some of the boost recently. Not sure how the effect plays out to them. 

I certainly got way more out of the show the second time. Part of that was seeing it live vs. theaters, part was realizing that they were serious about the whole starting anywhere in the show thing, and being fascinated by the concept as I watched it unfold a second time with that in mind. 

Following a couple of rain showers, it turned out to be a very nice night at Mason.  Got into the stadium in time to see the three World Class corps.  Very disappointed that Phantom has to withdraw.  Enjoyed Music City, but I think the electronic issues that delayed their performance (by at least 10 minutes) were not completely resolved when they finally started the run.  Nobody was at the controls of the main sound board so I'm guessing we didn't get everything involved with the production.  A talented group for sure.

Also really enjoyed the Crossman.  Much improved from Detroit.  The concept of starting the show from different movements sounds like a neat idea, but I do have to wonder "does it really mean anything to the folks (maybe the majority) who only see it one time?"  They would really not have any idea they are watching the show in the order other than written or intended.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Some great players.  I was a big fan of the music and writing style Andrew Markworth had brought to the Crossmen the past few years.  What I heard tonight was good, but it was different.  Hope to hear him writing for a corps again.

Final corps was of course the Bluecoats.  The show and the performers are incredible.  They take professional drum corps to a level few can attain.  This is a show that MUST be seen live and MUST be seen more than once.  I think that's true of more than one show this year, but the creativity of Bluecoats is once again on great display.  The crowd really got into the show!

• Like 3

Don't care for Crossmen's unis either. You would never know it was Crossmen on the field without the announcement. The shakos are 'bando'. Just wish corps would design their unis so that there is some element about them that you instantly recognize.