What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

14 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

To be fair, I have watched quite a few earlier DCI shows. There's only a couple that really stand out to me, like Cavaliers' Niagara Falls (love that closer) I'm not saying that my opinion is the end all, be all. I'm just saying that I prefer modern drum corps.

Welcome to DCP. Don't take anything personally here. Yes, we all have our opinions. People will argue or debate with you. It's all good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Go further back in the time machine to a day when the terms drum corp and marching band were not interchangeable. You might be pleasantly surprised. To fully “appreciate” the current state of DCI you need a better feel for how the activity evolved into what it is today.

I don’t know, I think most of us like what we first got used to, whenever that was, and stuff from earlier often seems lacking from that perspective.

How many among us listen to drum corps from the thirties?  🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t know, I think most of us like what we first got used to, whenever that was, and stuff from earlier often seems lacking from that perspective.

How many among us listen to drum corps from the thirties?  🙂

There are a few. I’m not suggesting the OP immerse themselves in thirties drum corps but at least sample shows prior to the 2000s for reference. I made the suggestion so the OP better understand the reactions he/she received from the original post. Kind of a “ get to know your audience”.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

I agree on Spartacus and Downside Up.  Those would be two shows I would show someone who is curious about drum corps.

And Jagged Line rocked, especially Zomby Woof.  Shows that follow championship years are often unappreciated because they are compared to the previous year competitively, instead of people just enjoying them for what they are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I agree on Spartacus and Downside Up.  Those would be two shows I would show someone who is curious about drum corps.

And Jagged Line rocked, especially Zomby Woof.  Shows that follow championship years are often unappreciated because they are compared to the previous year competitively, instead of people just enjoying them for what they are.

Jagged Line is probably my favorite of Bloo’s in the past decade 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Way to welcome new young posters onto DCP, guys.  

Can’t imagine why our ranks have dwindled.  

Youngsters need to look at history and respect it. When I learned about DCI about 20 years ago. I rewatched shows from 70s, 80s, 90s and learned the history of DCI and some corps. Sooo many amazing shows during those years. I almost walked away from supporting thr activity due to the changes but I thought about the kids. 

Anyway most kids don't like history I'm learning. Respect those who have come before. JMO.  Love me some Spirit of Atlanta late 70s when Jim Ott was there.

Edited by rchitectburd23BD01
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few:

• Some shows are too hard for the casual fan to enjoy/appreciate.  
  • The musicianship is many old school shows is lacking and makes listening to them unenjoyable.
  • The current trends in costumery do not fly in some parts of the country.  I've had students and parents turned off by what modern performers are wearing.  The bulges and "fabulousness" especially turn off my straight male students.
  • Modern DCI drum majors could be replaced and nobody would notice.  They beat time and don't conduct.
  • Drum corps is a niche activity and is nowhere near as important as we want to think it is.  
  • While DCI is still influencing high school bands in some parts of the country, in other parts directors know better than to try to copy what is going on in DCI.  It's not the "marching arts" -- it's just marching band.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lowend said:

Here are a few:

• Some shows are too hard for the casual fan to enjoy/appreciate.  
  • The musicianship is many old school shows is lacking and makes listening to them unenjoyable.
  • The current trends in costumery do not fly in some parts of the country.  I've had students and parents turned off by what modern performers are wearing.  The bulges and "fabulousness" especially turn off my straight male students.
  • Modern DCI drum majors could be replaced and nobody would notice.  They beat time and don't conduct.
  • Drum corps is a niche activity and is nowhere near as important as we want to think it is.  
  • While DCI is still influencing high school bands in some parts of the country, in other parts directors know better than to try to copy what is going on in DCI.  It's not the "marching arts" -- it's just marching band.

I've already told my financial advisor to buy stock in Roland Keytar 🙂 

• Like 2