Judging Feedback

I never marched in any corps (not much call for clarinet players) but I’m a long time DCI fan - saw my first show in 1977.  I remember when Drum Corps World was an actual paper that came in the mail. At least one year, maybe two, we also got feedback from the judges on many of the corps - I assume transcriptions of key aspects of their tapes. The names of the judges remained anonymous as I remember. I thought it was really interesting and gave good insight whether you agreed with it or not. Not sure why it was discontinued. 

Is is a completely crazy idea to get some version of that in today ‘s DCI world?  We all debate with great angst the scoring. It seems hearing some of the feedback the various staffs are getting would be most enlightening or at least interesting.

Flame away. 

1. I personally have a no flame policy. We all have opinions and comments to offer and share.  

2. Browse through YouTube. I know there are a few audio recordings of various judges from various corps. How many and how recent these are, I couldn't say, but I've come across a few of them. 

3. Welcome to DCP. We're from basically the same drum corps era. 

Title of this thread gave me an idea. What if we judged the judges?

Just now, Orwellian Wiress said:

Title of this thread gave me an idea. What if we judged the judges?

Oh stick around DCP, young lady. You'll see plenty of that in the weeks to come. 

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

1. I personally have a no flame policy. We all have opinions and comments to offer and share.  

2. Browse through YouTube. I know there are a few audio recordings of various judges from various corps. How many and how recent these are, I couldn't say, but I've come across a few of them. 

3. Welcome to DCP. We're from basically the same drum corps era. 

The tapes on YouTube are largely useless. They’re all finals tapes where the judges essentially do nothing but compliment the corps. Those tapes never contain any criticism 

• Thanks 2

I've actually been thinking of making my own "judge tapes"- me listening/watching a show online and recording my reactions. I think it would be fun, especially as I have no qualifications or DCI experience- I'm just a big fangirl.

24 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Yeah, this.

+ if you can, get your hands on some of the 2000s DVDs, which have judges’ tapes as commentary tracks. I learned a ton from listening to GE judges respond to shows like “Frameworks.” 

It would be interesting to know what they are listening to sometimes.  I'm not a drummer but I can hear what clean is.  Or what something difficult is and if it's clean.  Some of these drum scores or brass scores.....hmmmm.