Broiling in Texas

14 minutes ago, ediblewaffles said:

Summer Band Camps in July on a blacktop field were always terrible. Constant 100+ temperature for 1-2 hours. 

Personally, I'd want to see a competition in the Ford Center. 12,000 seater, indoors, well lit. Graduation there was great

The Ford Center does seem like a no brainer as a performance venue, definitely able to carry a capacity similar to other venues across the country

Edit: It’s also an all-seater🔥

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

DCI really should drop the Texas tour next year--all the shows are going to have to push back their start times. Even then, dangerous heat is unsafe for the kids and the fans.  I know that the corps make a lot of money on that 8 day tour, but temps are only going to rise further in the coming years. In Europe, Portugal and Spain are burning up-- even London will see temps over 100 degrees next week. If drum corps touring is to survive, the tour should turn northward. 

As someone that loves going to the Texas shows, no….😄

very selfish I know

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was bad.  So was 1995.  It was 105 at Dekalb.  739 people died in Chicago from the heat that summer.  https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/great-chicago-heat-wave-of-1995

One show i Was at in Madison in 1995, the field temp was like 150+...i passed out after the final cut off. And i remember DeKalb that year as well...ugh

DCI made a huge mistake taking all the Upstate NY shows off the schedule. Late July/early August is the best time of year in this state weather-wise - very reasonable temperatures and the Great Lakes ensure that there’s little to no rain. Unfortunately, the marching arts have gradually fallen out of favor here while in Texas they’re exploding.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I've kind of wondered to myself whether given the lighter uniforms and fabrics today versus the wool/polyester death cocoons we wore back in the stone ages, would performing sans outfits even make an appreciable difference?   

I agree at that level of heat/humidity it may be too dangerous no matter the dress.

Every day that I drive to work, the freeway sign tells me to “limit outdoor activity”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’ve went to San Antonio twice for the regional.  It didn’t bother me that much but Jim said the first time it was “Vietnam hot”.  He was okay the second time. I remember my phone said it was 101 degrees every day we were there.  I really had an enjoyable time, though.   But, I wasn’t teaching or marching in it either. 

Last summer was relatively mild. Very few days over 100. This summer… near constant. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

One show i Was at in Madison in 1995, the field temp was like 150+...i passed out after the final cut off. And i remember DeKalb that year as well...ugh

We had some folks do that in Orlando (St Cloud.) Hit their dot, final cut off....fall out. It was bad, bad, bad.