Broiling in Texas

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

As a Dallasite, I'll pass on a show in Ft. Worthless, unless it was at TCU's stadium.  And there's far more money in Dallas & Collin counties than Tarrant county, apart from the Southlake & Colleyville area (which I won't support for other, well publicized reasons).

As to the weather, it's hot, but it's not Armageddon.  Temps in the 100s in Texas.  Shock.  Happens often.  Some years worse than others.  I was out in 110 degree weather, and even ran, yesterday - and those kids are in FAR better shape the me (did I say FAR?).  Felt like Phoenix or Vegas.  The humidity has burned off.  It's only in the low 20s with humidity.  It's not the first summer like this in Texas.  Not every summer is like this.  Last year was mild.  There was a year 10+ years ago with over 70 days above 100.  I'm not arguing that climate change isn't happening - not at all. But also arguing not to over-react.  Corps are smarter now days about what to do when based on conditions.  And let's face it - a HUGE portion of the kids, money, staff, and designers are based in Texas.  it's about time there were more than 3-4 shows in Texas.

On a good news note, the forecast for Thursday in Denton is now down to 96, with cloud cover. That's a nice drop from the 108-110s from the last few days, plus tomorrow. And nothing above 104 for the following week.  Now, HOUSTON (ick), that's another story.  it WILL be humid there...

Assuming DCI is still around, there is likely going to be a point where the Texas tour is either shifted to earlier in the tour of removed altogether due to climate change. It’s just inevitable for an activity that requires outdoor rehearsals (unless you have access to one of the limited indoor facilities like BD does) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I also saw where they were skipping their free day at The Riverwalk to keep the members isolated.  I think it's a good thing to keep them away from the general public as much as possible.  😷

Gosh, what a season. Too many health-threatening things to worry about at once. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I also saw where they were skipping their free day at The Riverwalk to keep the members isolated.  I think it's a good thing to keep them away from the general public as much as possible.  😷

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Gosh, what a season. Too many health-threatening things to worry about at once. 

They're still having a free day. Just doing it in a less populated/congested location and with the ability to spread out more.

Wise decision. Safety first!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

As a Dallasite, I'll pass on a show in Ft. Worthless, unless it was at TCU's stadium.  And there's far more money in Dallas & Collin counties than Tarrant county, apart from the Southlake & Colleyville area (which I won't support for other, well publicized reasons).

As to the weather, it's hot, but it's not Armageddon.  Temps in the 100s in Texas.  Shock.  Happens often.  Some years worse than others.  I was out in 110 degree weather, and even ran, yesterday - and those kids are in FAR better shape the me (did I say FAR?).  Felt like Phoenix or Vegas.  The humidity has burned off.  It's only in the low 20s with humidity.  It's not the first summer like this in Texas.  Not every summer is like this.  Last year was mild.  There was a year 10+ years ago with over 70 days above 100.  I'm not arguing that climate change isn't happening - not at all. But also arguing not to over-react.  Corps are smarter now days about what to do when based on conditions.  And let's face it - a HUGE portion of the kids, money, staff, and designers are based in Texas.  it's about time there were more than 3-4 shows in Texas.

On a good news note, the forecast for Thursday in Denton is now down to 96, with cloud cover. That's a nice drop from the 108-110s from the last few days, plus tomorrow. And nothing above 104 for the following week.  Now, HOUSTON (ick), that's another story.  it WILL be humid there...

Tarrant county resident here, please hush😝😂 Colleyville and especially southlake do to put it lightly put out very weird vibes I’ll give you that🤐but we do have other venues that could easily host a DCI event. And yes the conditions for Denton are looking mighty favorable compared to the last few days, and with the show delay, sun going down, it’ll be what I would expect for a typical show here in DFW, so I’m not worried. San Antonio has been relatively mild compared to the crazy temperatures we’re seeing all the way in Oklahoma and Saturday is looking alright, not great, but alright.

32 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

They're still having a free day. Just doing it in a less populated/congested location and with the ability to spread out more.

Wise decision. Safety first!

Per their schedule, Blue Devils B had a free day at Six Flags Magic Mountain yesterday. Was a little surprised as the park is jam packed this time of year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Per their schedule, Blue Devils B had a free day at Six Flags Magic Mountain yesterday. Was a little surprised as the park is jam packed this time of year.

not if you strategize 😈but i’ll spare everyone my six flags hacks 

On 7/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, Vidal28Rdg said:

April, May are potentially stormy times haha, my complaints aren’t even the hot summers for me but I absolutely hate when these over 90 degree temps have stuck around later into September and into the fall, I just want some nice 70 degree days that’s all I want lol 

My hope is that it’ll at least cool down some before the end of the State Fair.

• Haha 1

Texas is the DCI membership (also known as funding) gold mine. Thus why many corps have at least one visit to Texas for auditions.  They’ll keep shows there even if it’s raining napalm. 

even a lava standstill is marketing. 

we used to have only Denton, San Antonio, and maybe Houston or Dallas 20 years ago when I marched.  We also we’re only starting to realize how many potential members would come from Texas to every group. 

23 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Texas is the DCI membership (also known as funding) gold mine. Thus why many corps have at least one visit to Texas for auditions.  They’ll keep shows there even if it’s raining napalm. 

even a lava standstill is marketing. 

we used to have only Denton, San Antonio, and maybe Houston or Dallas 20 years ago when I marched.  We also we’re only starting to realize how many potential members would come from Texas to every group. 

The concentration as well as growth of marching band in EACH of the Texas triangle metros has just been so apparent from what it was like you mentioned even 20 years ago, I’m surprised no one else has mentioned that virtually every corps has audition camps in Texas, it’s a region that you have to cater too when it comes to shows, and we as Texas locals definitely are loving it haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg