I need to know about BD 2005

51 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Neat.  Wasn’t trying to be stalkerish about it or anything. Just that she was such a great moment and really did a great job in Ink and I’d wondered the whole “where are they now” thing

Definitely not stalkerish or anything. I think Clara came up about a month ago, some of us were wondering if she was still in the BD organization, figuring her age she would be with BDB or BD A-Corps.

She completed the Ink show. The whole show came together with her appearance. I remember watching the vid from BDs family day and the staff was talking about how they just identified her for the role in Ink. She was in the plans from day one even though BD didn't unleash her until Buffalo or Finals week if I remember correctly.

I remember not really getting Ink as anything other than a collection of tales ala Into the Woods etc.  Then Clara..."OH...the book has a reader and she just walked into the world of the book!" 

It was absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Definitely not stalkerish or anything. I think Clara came up about a month ago, some of us were wondering if she was still in the BD organization, figuring her age she would be with BDB or BD A-Corps.

She completed the Ink show. The whole show came together with her appearance. I remember watching the vid from BDs family day and the staff was talking about how they just identified her for the role in Ink. She was in the plans from day one even though BD didn't unleash her until Buffalo or Finals week if I remember correctly.

Pretty sure it was quarterfinals - the Cinecast.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:18 PM, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/?programID=1&season=2005&module=info

Here is the info about the show on their site. If you wonder about the other shows and themes, they have them listed as well. I love how they have this whole database or page dedicated to information on past shows. It's like their own Wikipedia page. They also list the members who marched too. 

Fascinatingly, I don't think the musical selections that actually showed up in the show don't match the musical selections listed here at all, with the exception of "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?" and "Redline Tango." (Not sure about scene four). Instead of the Kander/Ebb "New York New York" they used the Bernstein/Comden/Green "New York New York," and both the opener and closer used Bernstein's Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs, which (to the point about musicians of that era @jwillis35 made earlier, was written for Benny Goodman's ensemble).

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Yes Sir you are correct. 

I went out to their rehearsals at Ben Davis the week of finals and got to see them add her in. My jaw dropped. It changed everything and I was so excited for everyone else to see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I went out to their rehearsals at Ben Davis the week of finals and got to see them add her in. My jaw dropped. It changed everything and I was so excited for everyone else to see.

Wait. BD rehearses at BD?  My 80's ISSMA brain just broke.  (Ben Davis had a streak of like 5 straight state titles and for everyone I know from the ISSMA circuit in that era "BD always wins" is not a reference to the Blue Devils.  

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Wait. BD rehearses at BD?  My 80's ISSMA brain just broke.  (Ben Davis had a streak of like 5 straight state titles and for everyone I know from the ISSMA circuit in that era "BD always wins" is not a reference to the Blue Devils.  

I know they used to a lot. That was 7 years ago, though. I know they do some rehearsals at the Colts complex, not sure if they still use BD.

Ben Davis had access to an airport hangar back in the day where they’d indoor rehearse as the fall grew cold. 

On 7/16/2022 at 10:42 PM, 84BDsop said:

At the Stanford show...

"And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens!"

Me (sotto voce to the guy next to me, since I didn't want it on a recording) "Yeah....you shut up!"

Geez what a dinosaur you are. What I would give to go back to those days when drum corps fans had a backbone and stood up to cheesey narration