Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Wow - I was criticized earlier today for bringing the subject up on this topic which happens to be “San Antonio”.  I might start the topic tomorrow because I think it’s important.  I’m all for forgiveness, second chances, etc, but that doesn’t apply to everything in your life.  

I’m sorry for being a topic cop without noticing (like you and others) how serious and concerning the topic is. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Im sure somewhere in a contract that is signed for events at stadiums that this can be added.  Just like fake Klay is banned from all Warriors basketball games now.

That fake Klay was much funnier than this situation we’re having to discuss here sadly, but yeah I figure DCI can do something in regards to who they can allow in to their events. What would really be unfortunate in this situation is the possibility of someone comping tickets for the event to this individual if that was indeed what happened😦 it could be the case in this or future circumstances

5 hours ago, TenHut said:

We either have free speech or we don't. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Everyone also has the right to ignore it. 

This is not a free speech issue. Being asked to stop being a #### is not actual political suppression, and I’m sure you know that. He isn’t being sent to jail for writing a blog. He wasn’t even sent to jail for the actually-awful things he did. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

This is not a free speech issue. Being asked to stop being a #### is not actual political suppression, and I’m sure you know that. He isn’t being sent to jail for writing a blog. He wasn’t even sent to jail for the actually-awful things he did. 

To be fair, I thought @TenHut’s original response about free speech was only in reference to the suggestion that he-who-shall-not-be-named shouldn’t be allowed to have a blog. I didn’t get the sense they were defending anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And. He's. Not. The. Only. One. :mad:

You marched with a Corps where there are rumors of inappropriate behavior.  I am not referring to what happened to you (which was bad enough).  Not going to name names, but if there if you know of individuals who were abused that are willing to talk perhaps we can find a way to excise more of this cancer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You marched with a Corps where there are rumors of inappropriate behavior.  Not going to name names, but if there if you know of individuals who were abused that are willing to talk perhaps we can find a way to excise more of this cancer.  

I cannot speak directly to first hand experience or second hand knowledge of survivors who may have endured different or worse treatment than me at the Santa Clara Vanguard. When one experiences trauma, they cannot be nudged into sharing these things too early (not suggesting you said that, just painting the point clearly.) I'm told that my letter kicked up dust for some alum who are still in the process of coming out the fog about their experiences.

As far as I know, most or all other alum keep very quiet. Too afraid of tarnishing our legacy, which I can understand. The only thing I can say is that alumni survivors I can get on the phone are so sad, so broken, so alone... and they don't want to talk about it. Even to me. Some of these alum were other featured performers or former section leaders. In one case, I may have overshared about one particular internal reaction to my letter and now I can't get that alum on the phone anymore: they were too used to SC closing doors to their negative experiences. They literally said I can't do this...

I am not referring to what happened to you (which was bad enough).  

Thank you for saying this. I can say that my treatment was a symptom of larger problems at the time. Been away too long since then for me to speak with authority about the internal workings of my house.

My presence on DCP is part of my healing process, so for those of you reading my posts and supporting them, thank you. So you know, the new female leadership and Vanguard has my tentative support. They have left the door open for me to apply again to join the board. I'll simply tell you what I told them: I can't offer my services for free to SC anymore.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I cannot speak directly to first hand experience or second hand knowledge of survivors who may have endured different or worse treatment than me at the Santa Clara Vanguard. When one experiences trauma, they cannot be nudged into sharing these things too early (not suggesting you said that, just painting the point clearly.) I'm told that my letter kicked up dust for some alum who are still in the process of coming out the fog about their experiences.

As far as I know, most or all other alum keep very quiet. Too afraid of tarnishing our legacy, which I can understand. The only thing I can say is that alumni survivors I can get on the phone are so sad, so broken, so alone... and they don't want to talk about it. Even to me. Some of these alum were other featured performers or former section leaders. In one case, I may have overshared about one particular internal reaction to my letter and now I can't get that alum on the phone anymore: they were too used to SC closing doors to their negative experiences. They literally said I can't do this...

Thank you for saying this. I can say that my treatment was a symptom of larger problems at the time. Been away too long since then for me to speak with authority about the internal workings of my house.

My presence on DCP is part of my healing process, so for those of you reading my posts and supporting them, thank you. So you know, the new female leadership and Vanguard has my tentative support. They have left the door open for me to apply again to join the board. I'll simply tell you what I told them: I can't offer my services for free to SC anymore.

And there is the problem.  Victims and witnesses won’t come forward because they want to protect the organization.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

They literally said I can't do this...

And sorry to quote myself here, but I want to drive the point home.

This same alum requested that I BOLDEN "youth education activity" in my open letter and so I did. They were adamant that if drum corps is still calling itself that, then it didn't live up to that promise when they marched. In their case, they failed miserably and to lasting affects. Theirs isn't even the worst I've heard.

• Sad 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

And there is the problem.  Victims and witnesses won’t come forward because they want to protect the organization.  

When the hurt is or was so bad, people freeze up and protect what they love however they can. This is true physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Even though I'm on fire about SCV improving, I still have a deep love for my brothers, sisters, and siblings there. If anything, that deep love fuels my passion for helping them see another way forward.

I wouldn't say it's only those who want to protect the org that are at fault. I'd say it's also those who are unwilling to accept our truths, and that's still happening across the activity. That's why my letter is so long. That's why I leveraged all of my academic skills to craft it so carefully. I need people to listen not for me but for the MMs who are currently vulnerable across the activity.

What I'm hoping to help SC realize is that if they can reconcile with me, I will help them reconcile with others... and they can actually be at the vanguard of turning this awful page in drum corps history. I want to help THEM do that. Not other corps. 💚💖💜

Finding Nirvana, a show about peace and healing, comes at a very, very, very serendipitous time for me. This kind of SC serendipity has been etched into my heart since I first heard 03 play Clowns... so, that's why these hurts are so bittersweet.

Sorry folks who are really trying to keep the SA thread on-topic. If it helps, I'm a daughter of Texas! 🤠

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And sorry to quote myself here, but I want to drive the point home.

This same alum requested that I BOLDEN "youth education activity" in my open letter and so I did. They were adamant that if drum corps is still calling itself that, then it didn't live up to that promise when they marched. In their case, they failed miserably and to lasting affects. Theirs isn't even the worst I've heard.

And the abuse will continue until someone CAN do this.  

Sad thing is that Drum Corps teaches us that we can do far more than we think we are capable of. 

and PS - I used to live in San Antonio 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Thanks 1