Marching/moving in time vs. "scampering"

On 7/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, denverjohn said:

What are your opinions, visceral reactions, emotional satisfaction, etc. regarding the increasing percentage of "drill", "movement" that occurs "out of sync" or "out of tempo" when transitioning from form to form. First we had "marching". Then we had "jazz running". However, now we have increasing show segments where the legs move at different rates of speed as performers move both "in" forms and in scatter drill. I find the visual to be less than satisfying and my eyes and mind spend that time seeking out the next "in tempo" or static uniform pattern.  Your opinions? Most of this occurs during percussion features of course because brass playing "in time" requires either feet in time or "hands" in time.

whatever works for the show. the common misperception is that run and gun is more demanding. things that describe as scampering has their own demands, as does the body. the most successful groups do a little bit of everything, and do it well. show you can do something well, and move on to do something else well. doing the same thing over and over is not necessarily more demanding, because then you don't show variety

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

As a bi-product of the the innovative movement in drum corps, comes the " Where do I look now" peripheral stare, that leaves you dry eyed and exhausted...I notice this affect particularly prevalent when you puff puff pass, before a show..peace 

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

whatever works for the show. the common misperception is that run and gun is more demanding. things that describe as scampering has their own demands, as does the body. the most successful groups do a little bit of everything, and do it well. show you can do something well, and move on to do something else well. doing the same thing over and over is not necessarily more demanding, because then you don't show variety

Yes - but, if in doubt always go with good execution.

Good execution is good GE.

Again, we have to go back to what the sheets dictate. Spending 12.5 - 13 minutes moving around the field at MACH 3 isn't going to cut it anymore. Yes, demand is still a factor; but, it's not the full standard, anymore. Performance and GE are the name of the game. The members are simply more than numbers and pieces of a puzzle, on the field, to complete as many forms as possible. They have to become characters in a production. The football field has become a stage. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

@lowend I was just ahead of my time and, after the 22 season, feeling so justified by the KEYTAR GUY! 😆😎

https://postimg.cc/3kMFcQ7w

https://postimg.cc/mz6Q308B

Even drummers emote now which is pretty fun to watch. We usually just went "WOOO!" a lot, dutted a lot and then of course bit our chin chains and shook the ol' shako. It's a much more rounded performance art now. I love watching it so much more as a fan then I did performing in many ways (though on my best days I still try to convince myself that I could survive a week on tour LOL.)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Even drummers emote now which is pretty fun to watch. We usually just went "WOOO!" a lot, dutted a lot and then of course bit our chin chains and shook the ol' shako. It's a much more rounded performance art now. I love watching it so much more as a fan then I did performing in many ways (though on my best days I still try to convince myself that I could survive a week on tour LOL.)

I remember when drummer emoting was a 'get the h*ll out of my way - we're comin' through there' face.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
punc.tuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember when drummer emoting was a 'get the h*ll out of my way - were 'comin' through there' face.

Now all I can think of is the female AI voice in the Mechwarrior games saying "Drum Judge - Target Acquired - Target Lock."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm so glad I was still around for some of that energy.

Also, we had one fella on snare in 03 04 who looked like he was screaming at the end of both closers and drum breaks. Fn killer dude everyone loved him. Just found out another duder I marched with named one of his sons after him.

Emote all the way!!

Different generations sharing a unique experience that 99% of people don't get and will probably never get LOL. I so dig what the performers are putting out there now. I couldn't have done it most likely. There have been such huge changes in the difficulty of shows in regards to drill and guard work. I think the performers level of talent playing wise has always been top notch though I do think it's a much deeper talent pool now than it ever was (I could be wrong though as we had a LOT more corps to fill back even when I marched.)

We had fun and we learned a LOT. But the thing I learned most was how to get along with people and put petty differences aside in working towards a common goal. I learned RESPECT and that's a big deal for a 16-21 year old kid. 

On the weekends, I work for a transportation company that runs shuttles back and forth from Chattanooga to the Nashville and Atlanta airports. Last Sunday a passenger calls to get some information on his travel. I could barely hear him on the phone because of background noise and asked him to repeat himself. He says "Yeah sorry I am on the bus and it's loud." My first thought came out and I said to the guy "Yeah It sounds like a tour bus and I know DCI Finals was last night" to which he says "Yeah! I'm an instructor for the Colts." We exchanged a few pleasantries and our shared drum corps experience (be it 35+ years apart) and I told him "Do me a favor brother. You tell those kids and staff that we are so very proud of what they accomplished this year and remind them to NEVER forgot everything they've learned this summer!" 

• Thanks 1