Cultural Appropriation in Drum Corps

4 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I KNOW! I was just thinking how far back do we have to go to figure out how long this has been going on. SCV Russian Christmas with the faux rabbit hats or Fiddler come to mind.

But to Cappybara's point, while that stuff was accepted in silence in the past, people today are less willing to accept these careless and lazy choices now.

It's not laziness.  Creating art, one can consult or it they may not.  Artists constrained to "consult" on everything they do or write?  Sorry, personally I'd rather deal with offense before we start censoring creativity.  AND I may add, I see zero evidence anything was done maliciously.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

scheherezadesghost as someone who was a big part of SCV 2004 and have written about it at length, I wonder what your thoughts are on the 2014 Scheherezade "update" show and how they did (or didn't!) handle ... you know a show adapted from a piece of music written in 1880s Russia (not the worlds' most respectful place in terms of racial views)

I haven't seen all of 14 because full shows aren't available to public and not a single soul reached out me from the corps or community about it at the time or since.

Until I see the whole thing, I probably shouldn't comment.

Your point about the likelihood of some appropriation within the original composition itself (not the arrangement, Key is a master) is a good one though that should be considered.

Velvet Knights staff meeting:

"How can we portray the atrocities of Stalin in a sensitive light?"

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

It's not laziness.  Creating art, one can consult or it they may not.  Artists constrained to "consult" on everything they do or write?  Sorry, personally I'd rather deal with offense before we start censoring creativity.  AND I may add, I see zero evidence anything was done maliciously.

It’s not the malice that concerns me. I don’t see malice either. It’s the desire that art, including drum corps, can be created with the principle of “Don’t take what’s not yours without permission or understanding how what you do with it impacts the people you took it from. “

I would hope that sort of principle is one humanity could live by out of mutual respect and that it could be seen as non threatening enough to not me a controversial proposition. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Responsible creative freedom means not taking what isn't yours as @KVG_DC said. That's not restriction, it's respect.

Lack of malicious intent doesn't mean it isn't also disrespectful.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KVG_DC said:

It’s not the malice that concerns me. I don’t see malice either. It’s the desire that art, including drum corps, can be created with the principle of “Don’t take what’s not yours without permission or understanding how what you do with it impacts the people you took it from. “

I would hope that sort of principle is one humanity could live by out of mutual respect and that it could be seen as non threatening enough to not me a controversial proposition. 

Seriously?  How in the possible world could you make everyone happy all the time?  Who would speak for everyone?  What, you going to consult with the President (or whatever leader) of the country to get a rubber stamp?  First, no one is "taking" anything.  They may be trying to "depict" something but that isn't "taking" or "appropriating".  HOW is this threatening or even questioning basic humanity...I mean really?

• Like 1