Finals Scores

This may be dumb, and if it is don’t roast me for it. 

Why is the champion not determined from an average of all three scores on finals night? Is it because they use different judges each night? I honestly think it might make things more interesting if that’s how placement was determined. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

This may be dumb, and if it is don’t roast me for it. 

Why is the champion not determined from an average of all three scores on finals night? Is it because they use different judges each night? I honestly think it might make things more interesting if that’s how placement was determined. Just my opinion. 

The Ott, Sanford and Zingali are already all determined this way...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get it.I’ve thought the same.Captions count from all three shows. Placement, on the other hand, is not. It’s 3 separate shows and only the last one counts for placement. My preference would be an average over the 3 shows for placement as well. Otherwise, what we get are finals predicated upon only one panel of judges. That, to me, is too much weight given to only one panel of judges. Judges are not all the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For the sake of the activity's sustainability, we must be critical of the rules. I support your questions.

Awaiting people more knowledgeable to answer.

I might also add that it is extremely RARE for the Friday night winner not to come out on top Saturday night...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

The Ott, Sanford and Zingali are already all determined this way...

Yeah, but they’re each evaluated by one judge per performance. So the trophy goes to whoever most impresses a “panel” of 3 — one judge per night.

The corps as a whole are already judged by a full panel. GE alone is split 4 ways. One performance is already an average of what multiple people think. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Imagine you pull off the feat of going 3-2-1 and feeling on top of the world then somebody goes sorry that group that got second beat you. 

Box 5 is a consistency everybody all the time so if you truly do that then all that matters is the last one. 

This is my first inclination, but @Liahonahas a point. It's about the inevitable singular subjectivity of the finals night judges that's the problem.

As a performer though, I'd love knowing I'd won the last show singularly.

Edited by scheherazadesghost