Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

Just now, Narrow said:

SCV has grown and evolved much greater than Crown has this season and it seems to me like SCV has way more room to grow still. They can get 4th

It's a difference of approach, that's all. Neither one is better than the other.

Crown fielded a full, meaty show right away. That's giving them most of the season to perfect it. Great.

SC didn't field a full show and is gradually building it over time. This is how it worked when I marched too, to great effect. Also great.

There are so many other factors than this that affect a show, but this is what we mean when we talk about peaking. I've called out Crown about this already. Now, they have to breathe because if they aren't calm, they look frantic with everything that's going on. BD is playing it cool. BAC is playing it cool. Crown cannot over hype that show... it can be dangerous to do so.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

4. BD, screamers aplenty, foreign sounding moaning, percussion-led extended dance breaks(they’re not the only one that does this but it’s especially prominent with them🙃) increasing technical *flexing* as their show goes on.

spat my beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It's not an issue of too much drill. It is an issue of overall design. The other 4 in the top 5 all have better designs than Crown. Talent was holding them up for much of the season and now that's starting to slip.

People who think Crown has too much drill, too much exposure, too much visual difficulty and just need to clean are all wrong. The issue isn't any of that, it's a very messy visual design with elements that don't make sense and overall poor construction (except the drill), but drill is such a small part of visual these days.

I agree with some of this. Crown’s shows since 2017 have really relied on the members being #### near perfect for a similar amount of effect that dirtier groups could match or exceed in GE captions.

I think music design in this show is better than usual for them, but for me it’s the overall concept I think is not enough. And for the members, not sure it is enough to latch onto. I think many forget that when designing shows that it has to sustain the members for an entire season.

Beneath the surface they’re a really great corps, can’t designers do better than that? A show about being in the moment?

Well duh we’re in the moment. 

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

Crown is finishing top 5 and it ain’t 1, 2, 3, or 4

I said the same thing for a podcast update. 

Number of syllables in their show title: 4

Number of corps above them in Finals: 4

Everything lines up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

I agree with some of this. Crown’s shows since 2017 have really relied on the members being #### near perfect for a similar amount of effect that dirtier groups could match or exceed in GE captions.

I think music design in this show is better than usual for them, but for me it’s the overall concept I think is not enough. And for the members, not sure it is enough to latch onto. I think many forget that when designing shows that it has to sustain the members for an entire season.

Beneath the surface they’re a really great corps, can’t designers do better than that? A show about being in the moment?

Well duh we’re in the moment. 

There’s a lot more beneath the surface to right here right now, it is right here, right now, relentlessly so🙃

• Like 1