Do NOT miss the Bluecoats Alumni Corps...DO NOT!!!

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not doing that. Someone inferred that Bluecoats were the only one worth watching.  But I guess when you’re trying to be a YouTube influencer, you have to make controversial statements so someone pays attention.  And people lap it up.

People on here have been banned for less.

yeah. i made a very audible sigh reading that as well.  cmon. Go dig through some history.  Its not even the alumni group comment, its that one group was labeled as the only show in town, from someone new here. That like all the kid's who thought Jessica Simpson wrote the "Jack and Dianne" riff.  BAH. cmon. 

There's so many great years in DCI, and DCA that you can find stuff in every decade (heck, every year) that's a killer show.   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

So, to really enjoy an alumni performance, you have to have enough seasoning to remember when the selections in the show were performed for the first time.  It will instantly transport to you back to the wonderful time you had in the past, plus fill you with appreciation for the now, much older folks who have changed so much, putting in this tremendous effort to give you that trip.

Or, just have an open enough mind to recognize quality and dedication when you see it.

I have a friend of a friend in the guard (on one knee replacement) who says this is the hardest thing she's ever done in her life, but is loving every minute of it. She also chose to do flag, rather than rifle as apparently the rifles get on the ground and she said "there is no getting up from that." LOL

I can't wait for this and I never even really liked Bluecoats that much until the last decade or so. Apparently the current design staff created this show, so I expect it to be magical.

Tremendous effort is right. Getting out there in your forties, fifties, and sixties is hard work and they do it to recreate a little glimpse into the past.  I thank them and anyone who has done alumni corps from the bottom of my heart. 🥰❤️💙💙💙💙💙

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not doing that. Someone inferred that Bluecoats were the only one worth watching.  But I guess when you’re trying to be a YouTube influencer, you have to make controversial statements so someone pays attention.  And people lap it up.

People on here have been banned for less.

oh i know you arent but i could see it brewing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

You're not human if you didn't shed a tear after seeing that. 

for any of them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI History Lesson Time:

The standard for alumni Corps was set by 27th Lancers in 1994.  They were on last at Finals before retreat.   I think when DCI scheduled them they figured it would be 30 people in polo shirts & khaki shorts playing Danny Boy.  It wasn't (see video below, unfortunately not best quality).  They brought down the house.  People may not remember who won in 1994, but everyone remembers this.

And this is why alumni Corps now go on after semi-finals.  Not good when the old folks outshine the star attraction.

I missed a lot of good things between 1983 and 2015. 😭

49 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Tremendous effort is right. Getting out there in your forties, fifties, and sixties is hard work and they do it to recreate a little glimpse into the past.  I thank them and anyone who has done alumni corps from the bottom of my heart. 🥰❤️💙💙💙💙💙

Amen.

It was a privilege to be able to put on the uniform again 34 years later and perform in 2008.  It was really HARD WORK and FUN!  Thankful to DCI for allowing it and I still can't believe I didn't break a hip.

I assume FLO will show Bluecoats alumni show(?)

• Like 1

i know many people involved in the admin, staff and performers in this group, and i look forward to seeing them all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Amen.

It was a privilege to be able to put on the uniform again 34 years later and perform in 2008.  It was really HARD WORK and FUN!  Thankful to DCI for allowing it and I still can't believe I didn't break a hip.

I assume FLO will show Bluecoats alumni show(?)

yup

• Thanks 1

Alumni shows can break innovative new ground in drill design with the use of electric wheelchairs in the marching drill.

Broadway uses robotic prop movers to move scenery discreetly and perfectly - when are the marching arts going to catch up and starting using robotics to move either props or serve as ways for marching members to perform drill with perfection?

Alumni corps should also really consider using midi instrument controllers instead of traditional brass instruments - 

Far easier for alumni members to perform on an electronic wind instrument (ewi) or midi drum controller --