Boston Crusaders 2023

Have listened to concert in the park a few times now. Like so many others posting, I really like the music. In particular, how each piece is transitioned. Also, the layers in the Dropkick Murphys piece …that is done extremely well in the brass arrangement.

I appreciate that the closer has those layers in the brass as well. You get the ferocious nature of what On the Waterfront should be in both the brass and percussion, while at the same time some very good creative touches in what the arranger put into music. The trombone soloists, seemingly on each part of this show, blend very well too. 

I know my review sounds like Paul Hollywood eating a cookie on the Great British Baking Show…(” Wow, those layers and texture are outstanding). But I don’t mean this to be pretentious. It’s drum corps, not the London Symphony playing Brahms. But as I have gotten older, I have appreciated arrangements in brass as an art form of their own. In an activity that is increasingly visually heavy, I fully appreciate a good brass book. So Boston, I thank you! 

Go BAC. Eat ‘em up this year! 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dmlkmen said:

Have listened to concert in the park a few times now. Like so many others posting, I really like the music. In particular, how each piece is transitioned. Also, the layers in the Dropkick Murphys piece …that is done extremely well in the brass arrangement.

I appreciate that the closer has those layers in the brass as well. You get the ferocious nature of what On the Waterfront should be in both the brass and percussion, while at the same time some very good creative touches in what the arranger put into music. The trombone soloists, seemingly on each part of this show, blend very well too. 

I know my review sounds like Paul Hollywood eating a cookie on the Great British Baking Show…(” Wow, those layers and texture are outstanding). But I don’t mean this to be pretentious. It’s drum corps, not the London Symphony playing Brahms. But as I have gotten older, I have appreciated arrangements in brass as an art form of their own. In an activity that is increasingly visually heavy, I fully appreciate a good brass book. So Boston, I thank you! 

Go BAC. Eat ‘em up this year! 

Fun fact:  The bari/euph soloist in Part 5 is a three-year vet, and had solos both in ZOOM and Paradise Lost.  He is from San Antonio, TX and is affectionately known by members and staff as "Freddie Mercury".  The tuba soloist who begins the "Wellerman" is a 5 year vet, and along with his little brother who is the French horn soloist is from Coppell, TX. I think there are 7 horn players from this town.  

Yes, I am an absolute fountain of useless information.  😀

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

Fun fact:  The bari/euph soloist in Part 5 is a three-year vet, and had solos both in ZOOM and Paradise Lost.  He is from San Antonio, TX and is affectionately known by members and staff as "Freddie Mercury".  The tuba soloist who begins the "Wellerman" is a 5 year vet, and along with his little brother who is the French horn soloist is from Coppell, TX. I think there are 7 horn players from this town.  

Yes, I am an absolute fountain of useless information.  😀

Great to learn you guys over there have family dynasties too, as well as a bunch of Texas folks!

It is about 12:45 on Thursday and I am at the top of the stadium in Lawrence watching them rehearse.  For the Texas parents who have been asking, the weather here is 78 degrees and partly sunny with a light breeze. There is some new kamikaze rifle work and some crazy asss drill here in Part 5 which I don’t recall seeing in the Castleton Performance.   This may be a new ending! Dear God! They really do have harpoons.....

• Like 6

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

can’t wait til i see the show so I can finally say “whale, whale, whale… look who it is” — i’ve been sitting on it for months, it’s not healthy to suppress my feelings like this

I just hope the MMs with the harpoons chant that above song when headed back to the busses