Boston Crusaders 2023

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

It's a SHOW DAY, BAC!  EAT'EM UP, BOSTON!!

In my humble opinion. One of the best shows of the season. 
The kids love the alumni support here

• Like 1

The future radar looked promising at noon to clear out by 5. Not so much anymore, now it shows more storms around 7.  Fingers crossed it works out so we can see everyone tonight! 

On the stream, the show didn't hit as hard as I was expecting, but I'm sure it'll be different in person. I'll be driving to the Summer Music Games on July 5th, so I can't wait to see these talented kids!

1 hour ago, An_drew said:

On the stream, the show didn't hit as hard as I was expecting, but I'm sure it'll be different in person. I'll be driving to the Summer Music Games on July 5th, so I can't wait to see these talented kids!

I talked to a friend this morning who was at the Beanpot on Saturday but watched Sunday’s show on Flo. He wondered if he saw the better of the two shows on Saturday. I felt that Sunday was the better of the two, especially the opening. The brass sounded stronger, percussion seemed strong as well, and the drill flowed. The rifle work was impeccable and fierce, but due to winds some of the flag work was off at one point which probably explains the difference in CG scores between Saturday and Sunday. In the end it is a different show in person and as I said in another thread Veterans Memorial Stadium in Quincy is probably not the best stadium for a live broadcast.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Horns sound fine until they get into upper register or past (what seems to me, haven’t seen the music) FF. That’s not an issue with the teaching or the students, that seems to be an issue with the horns themselves.

The members play their book excellently. One of the top 3 horn lines in the activity. Switching away from Yamaha for an unproven brand was a mistake in the short term at the very least. Hopefully there are improvements in the future. 

Had you stated your opinion like this in the first place, it wouldn’t have come across so harshly.  And your initial comment made no reference to the new brass brand.  You simply labeled the brass as atrocious.  No further explanation or reason why.  You now say it’s a mistake to go with an unproven brand.  I’m sure you thought that with BD’s system blue too.  Nevertheless, this brass line of instruments has been ok’d by Gino.  I believe he may have a good understanding of brass quality and wouldn’t risk Bostons recent progress and brass success of last year with a questionable new brand of brass.  Gino is fully aware of the quality of brass instruments and players to achieve an Ott.  He’s been there before.  Have you?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, craiga said:

And for the record, the members love them, and the fact they are handmade by a former member of the BAC hornline who started his own musical instrument manufacturing company almost immediately after aging out brings it full circle.

Agree. The B.A.C. music instruments are top notch. Their bass trombones are in use world wide now. Many jazz tenor bone guys I know are playing on these things and love them. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1