Legends and lore of drum corps

47 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened more than once in the 1950s VFW/AL era.

this was like 1980

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Used this elsewhere today, still applies...

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47973796mr29okel1d85x

Back in grad school I was helping a fellow student catch armadillos so they could be tested for Hanson’s disease (formerly know as leprosy; it had recently been discovered that armadillos get it as well).  Among other things I learned that armadillos and I could run at about the same speed.  Was an interesting evening.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Then there were 2005 Racine Kilties at DCA prelims. 
RIP Lothar. 

Was there when it happened. Corps finished first number before crowd realized someone was down. Corps left the field and eventually next scheduled corps came out. After that corps (or the next) Kilties came out and did their show. 
Really hit group I was in as we lost a DM in a July 4th parade the same way that year. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the BD story is true, Scott Johnson went into details on the Drum Corps Coffee Shop podcast. I don't remember a drum major flipping off judges, but a corps director did

David St. Angel if Regiment...forgot the year, tho.

And there are a couple of pics of the Wipeout....I have them.  Vid would be the Holy Grail of 80s drum corps, but I doubt any exists.

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened more than once in the 1950s VFW/AL era.

On the DCA side, in 1982 chief judge John Collum collapsed in front of us (Sunrisers) while we were performing at a Sunday afternoon show in CT. He died a short time later that day.

It really shook us up to see that. A number of us knew John. My brother (Sun's director that year) was good friends with him. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

David St. Angel if Regiment...forgot the year, tho.

And there are a couple of pics of the Wipeout....I have them.  Vid would be the Holy Grail of 80s drum corps, but I doubt any exists.

1992 Finals

Bird St. Angel

• Haha 2