Carolina Crown 2023

Okay, so after being able to pay attention to the show tonight, I had a distraction earlier and missed half the show, I've noticed a few more things...prepare yourself, Grandpa noticed something. 

The 4th movement IS the battle for the thrown between Arthur and his son, Mordred. The guard member who stabs him in the back IS NOT Lancelot. It's a completely different guard member, and if it were meant to be Lancelot, I believe they would have used the same member. So, there's that. 

The quartet that segways into movement 5 represents the 4 main characters of the story. 
French Horn - Arthur (from the opener)
Trumpet - Guinevere (from the ballad)
Euphonium/Baritone - Lancelot (from the ballad, and I can't tell which instrument it is, anyone?)
Contra - Mordred (new character introduced in movement 4, powers of deduction)

At least this makes sense to me. I think the most change we will see in this show, other than small tweaks and layering throughout, will definitely come from the closer. Dare I say it, we might have a completely different closer come Indy!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Okay, so after being able to pay attention to the show tonight, I had a distraction earlier and missed half the show, I've noticed a few more things...prepare yourself, Grandpa noticed something. 

The 4th movement IS the battle for the thrown between Arthur and his son, Mordred. The guard member who stabs him in the back IS NOT Lancelot. It's a completely different guard member, and if it were meant to be Lancelot, I believe they would have used the same member. So, there's that. 

The quartet that segways into movement 5 represents the 4 main characters of the story. 
Euphonium/Baritone - Lancelot (from the ballad, and I can't tell which instrument it is, anyone?)

At least this makes sense to me. I think the most change we will see in this show, other than small tweaks and layering throughout, will definitely come from the closer. Dare I say it, we might have a completely different closer come Indy!

I was going to ask you if you were sure the guy who stabbed Arthur a few posts ago was Lancelot because it wasn't the guard guy used to represent him during the ballad but didn't want to seem like I was arguing with you. 

Since it was Mordred who stabbed Arthur I stand by my thought he will die by the time they've changed the closer later in the season. I think it could definitely boost GE enough for a medal and bringing more fans over that they have right now. Kinda a what happened in 2015.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

This is why I don't understand the folks saying this show doesn't have the GE power to compete.  They almost won GE against what appears to be more complete product in Coats last night.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

This is why I don't understand the folks saying this show doesn't have the GE power to compete.  They almost won GE against what appears to be more complete product in Coats last night.

This is why I made a topic about GE. I think some people really dont know what it is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

This is why I made a topic about GE. I think some people really dont know what it is. 

And I am not convinced the judging community agrees either, but that is an entirely new discussion.  The hardest part of understanding GE (and I am raising my own hand here) is that your personal taste should have very little to do with it.

13 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

And I am not convinced the judging community agrees either, but that is an entirely new discussion.  The hardest part of understanding GE (and I am raising my own hand here) is that your personal taste should have very little to do with it.

Yet most of it is you opinion on how the music effects the drill or drill effects the music. At the end of the day it's just a judge that can cross caption lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Been thinking same thing myself. InCOG & I PM’d quite a bit last year, but he finally just had enough of the ad hominem stuff. Granted, he didn’t suffer perceived slights easily, but he was never afraid to go to the mat for the 👑.

NewsEd, nada. Crickets. He generally had reliable intel and was a solid honk.  Miss his contributions, too. 

K’s the oracle now, but we’re definitely down two compatriots this season.☹️

Yeah, that sucks. I hope they return at some point but I don't blame them for leaving. Nice win for Crown last night, I wasn't sure how their GE scores would be but I'm pretty happy with them, now we just need a better ending and some crown sets 🙂..

• Thanks 1

I remember seeing Crown back in the beginning of the 2015 season. It was one of the first shows and it was in Foxboro, MA. The drill was so clean, brass sounded amazing. But there was absolutely no color and all of the visual effects with fabric, etc. had not been incorporated to the show. I left the stadium thinking, "That's a great show, but there's not enough content to win it all." Boy was I wrong! by the end of the season, it was a completely different experience. I don't rule out anything from Crown any more. I'll take a wait and see attitude on this one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MBo1974 said:

Going into last night, my opinion of BC was their GE was too much of a good thing and it made their show unfocused and visually muddy at times. They needed to edit back a bit, and are limited with growing GE bc it’ll just make it more cluttered. Still though, I thought they might edge Crown by keeping captions close with a slight GE advantage. 

Crowns show can grow a lot GE wise, IMO.  They they add movements and drill, it’ll standout and add too the show rather than add visual clutter like BC.  Likewise, BAC can grow GE too.

Reflecting on last night, it’s possible that BC could end up 4th by finals bc of a GE ceiling due to how their show is constructed.  I don’t think BD has that same limitation with their show.  

All that said, Crowns path to gold is through GE improvements (especially with their drill that doesn’t quite hold the impact that it could yet) bc thats where there is the most room with growth to their score.  Just my two cents if I was the director playing the judging strategy game.

Edited by NewArpege