Carolina Crown 2023

16 minutes ago, karuna said:

I will say this.  These guys left BK and started Broken City.  And the results speak for themselves.  So they're doing something right!

Broken City actually started up in the 2016 season, which was right in the middle of their BK run. Fun fact: Broken City had medaled in PIW Finals every year (including their first) until this year when they got 4th.

As you said, the results speak for themselves. This Crown staff isn't crap and aren't this huge problem people keep freaking out over. The last show prior to Little Rock, they only lost to Bluecoats in percussion (and reigning Sanford holders) by 0.1 pts. Actually, Crown beat BC in achievement that night but BC had the larger advantage in content. They've generally been hanging out around 0.3-0.4 behind BC so far it seems until Little Rock where it jumped to 0.7. Could have been an off night. Could have been numbers management to fit in Cadets and Cavaliers (who have ridiculously good lines this year). Could have been just that judge wasn't feeling what Crown was putting out.

Bottom line, it DOESN'T MATTER. I can GUARANTEE you, if recaps were kept away all season and only revealed after finals, no one would be freaking out about Crown's percussion because they are good. Really good. But guess what? DCI percussion this year is VERY good top to bottom. You can't say the same about Brass and Guard though. I've heard multiple people tell me WOW Colts' line is one of the cleanest lines out there and I should see them in the lot next show. I doubt Brass or Guard people will tell me the same about those sections though. And that's not a rip on those sections, they are still DCI World Brass and Guard sections so they are definitely not bad. But all I'm saying is the 11th place corps has a percussion section this year that are apparently must see from people I trust and that are very knowledgeable about percussion, some of whom teach these very kids we all go see. So just chill...and enjoy the beauty that is this years DCI percussion battle cause it is crazy!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, karuna said:

The fun, good sir, is not reading a bunch of petty bickering on DCP.   There's enough "legit" bickering going on here that we don't need to add to it!  <steps off soapbox>

After being a part of the forum, it's no wonder why so many Crown fans jumped ship.

• Sad 1

0BBXp5H.jpg

All this talk of arcane percussion placement is stressing me out. Can’t do #### about it except honk or beef☹️

How ‘bout a Monday, blast from the past👑

Got an email from the fine folks at our fav drum corps today, that credentials for NightBEAT are enroute!

BTW, three of the spots on my  Crown Rushmore🎺🥁👑👍

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, karuna said:

They won "in spite of" their percussion scoring WAY below the rest of the captions.   I think you're forgetting a lot of important details.

That is like saying Cadets won in 1983 "inspite of" the percussion that scored below the other captions from a field percussion staind point. But the conrtibution to the overall program (musically and visually including GE) was critical to the Cadets success. Hannum won his first of several DCI Championships (with three different corps) in 1983. His last with Crown in 2013. He may win his next title before Crown does. 

Nobody cares can we give it a #### rest. They have a very talented new staff. Time will tell with every change. Wish the ones who’ve moved on well with there corps and the new staff that’s at crown well. S*** happens just enjoy the season with great shows top to bottom. 

• Like 1

Fiesty in here today lol. Lets just keep cheering on Crown!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Fiesty in here today lol. Lets just keep cheering on Crown!

Yep. Been a lot o’ bangin’ re CrownPERC. Shock. 

Frankly, compared to last year, probably not quite making our quota. Yet.

Regardless of how Crown trends in the next couple of week, it’ll increase exponentially.

All good though. CrownTHREAD likely to repeat as No. 1 by season end🥇🏆

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Yep. Been a lot o’ bangin’ re CrownPERC. Shock. 

Frankly, compared to last year, probably not quite making our quota. Yet.

Regardless of how Crown trends in the next couple of week, it’ll increase exponentially.

All good though. CrownTHREAD likely to repeat as No. 1 by season end🥇🏆

I am super happy with what the percussion has done in just the first month or so in the staff's first year with Crown. Love the sounds and mood they set with the show. No doubt they will start to gel next year once they start to get some more talent to come in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Then please, pray tell, why didn't Hannum, Travis, etc. do so well at Crown then? Crown doesn't attract percussion players well. They're trying to fix that. If the prior team couldn't get the job done, then it's time to hire someone new. That's what happened.

Putting my tinfoil hat on:

Perhaps Crown has a hard time recruiting top percussion talent because of the heavy emphasis Crown as a corps puts on its brass? I mean, going past the fact that people have made literal highlight reels on youtube titled "God's hornline" and in the past few years many on DCP said "well atleast we got the Ott this season," it does seem Crown's social media team also does place quite a bit of emphasis on the brass. This season might be one of the first ones where I've seen them give the percussion some attention, and that too its mostly just the drumline, not the front ensemble. That could make a difference for potential members mentally

• Like 3