Carolina Crown 2023

7 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

As a high school trumpet player in the mid ‘70’s, I worshipped at the alter of Maynard Ferguson. So it goes without saying that I’m awestruck year in and out by DCI screamers.

But, jeeze, the control, intonation and luscious tone of that soloist in the ballad is equally brilliant.

In the running for one of Crown’s finest ballads.

And after ‘13, thought that’d be impossible.

Gabriel's Oboe always has a special place in my heart when it comes to Crown ballads

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok. I've come here to eat crow. I was wrong. I don't know where this show will place, but I was wrong to write it off the other day. They were fantastic tonight. I'm in love with this show.

All of you (except Grandpa Joe) have permission to smack me (several times)!

• Like 5

Just now, Vuitton said:

Ok. I've come here to eat crow. I was wrong. I don't know where this show will place, but I was wrong to write it off the other day. They were fantastic tonight. I'm in love with this show.

All of you (except Grandpa Joe) have permission to smack me (several times)!

Grandpa might put some extra umph into that smack lol. Glad to have you back on the Crown train. Can't imagine how this show will be with the new ending

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Grandpa might put some extra umph into that smack lol. Glad to have you back on the Crown train. Can't imagine how this show will be with the new ending

I like it rough.

Yeah, like WTF was I thinking the other day? I mean I love the show. I don't think anyone is going to touch BD this season, but I think Crown has a shot at 2nd. I think ultimately BD will win, Bloo and Crown will be fighting for 2nd and BAC will be in 4th.

• Like 1

agreed with what i'm seeing other people say about the ballad. the balance they're achieving in the ballad and the other quiet moment later in the show is just glorious.   as somebody who just loves musicality (balance, blend, tone, intonation, dynamics, phrasing the whole bit) it's really a treat.  dci just doesn't reward it properly imo anymore. 

feel like they've focused a lot on the quieter stuff and are saving work on the more run-heavy and bombastic parts for later. just what i'm feeling.  

• Like 2

Not surprised with 4th. I prepared myself for it. Performance order? Maybe. Hard to pin it on that. Need to see recaps once dci.org is back up

Not sure I agree with 3rd in brass but okay. Take in on the chin and move on

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Not surprised with 4th. I prepared myself for it. Performance order? Maybe. Hard to pin it on that. Need to see recaps once dci.org is back up

I'm thinking 1st in brass and was thinking 5th in percussion until I saw the Cadets somewhat disappointing score so I will say 4th but with a spread between 3 and 4.

Guard 2 or 3

Amazing show

Best top 4 since 15 and I like all of these shows better than the Power of 10

Edited by ThePlanets