Carolina Crown 2023

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not this year. 7th place with an 8th in achievement is not "hanging". I wanted them to be good... but this is not the percussion product. Maybe they will get better over the next few years but this year, IMHO, is done. Cadets had a complete percussion staff turnover like Crown. They were 4th, not 7th. And are excelling with some key Crown percussion folks from last year. The Corps management made such a big deal about this "transformational" percussion staff. It has yet to materialize. Most of you here will not agree. We will know who is correct soon enough.

Indeed.

24 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not this year. 7th place with an 8th in achievement is not "hanging". I wanted them to be good... but this is not the percussion product. Maybe they will get better over the next few years but this year, IMHO, is done. Cadets had a complete percussion staff turnover like Crown. They were 4th, not 7th. And are excelling with some key Crown percussion folks from last year. The Corps management made such a big deal about this "transformational" percussion staff. It has yet to materialize. Most of you here will not agree. We will know who is correct soon enough.

You’e picking one night but then saying the nights before don't matter. I’m not saying they have a knock out line but 5th place is hanging with the big boys in my opinion. And seriously. Look at those kids .. they are young. Like real young. And the hype of a regional in a dome is a lot for them … give them a little growing room. They’re pretty much accomplishing what the former staff did for 10 years over and over .. so far nothing lost as we’re in the same place year one. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, BWise said:

You’e picking one night but then saying the nights before don't matter. I’m not saying they have a knock out line but 5th place is hanging with the big boys in my opinion. And seriously. Look at those kids .. they are young. Like real young. And the hype of a regional in a dome is a lot for them … give them a little growing room. They’re pretty much accomplishing what the former staff did for 10 years over and over .. so far nothing lost as we’re in the same place year one. 

Ok... but if that is the case, why replace last year's percussion staff who were... 5th place? It was terrible last year to be 5th but this year is OK? Cant have it both ways. And is not clear they will even be 5th this year. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Ok... but if that is the case, why replace last year's percussion staff who were... 5th place? It was terrible last year to be 5th but this year is OK? Cant have it both ways. And is not clear they will even be 5th this year. 

Year one … so one would hope the program progresses rather than just stagnant and flounder for a decade. people complain if nothing is done with a habitually weak caption .. then ppl complain year one about trying to improve it. Can’t please every one. 

51 minutes ago, BWise said:

12 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

This is a case where both can be correct.

Your point: perc status quo as before; no improvement. True.

BWise: perc status quo as before, no improvement, but with an unproven line. True.

For the sake of discussion, I concede your position on CrownPERC ‘23. Done. Write’m off. 

On the other hand, consider the possibility that ‘23 is the first season of a new era in percussion at Ft. Mills. 

Impossible you say?

10 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

This is a case where both can be correct.

Your point: perc status quo as before; no improvement. True.

BWise: perc status quo as before, no improvement, but with an unproven line. True.

For the sake of discussion, I concede your position on CrownPERC ‘23. Done. Write’m off. 

On the other hand, consider the possibility that ‘23 is the first season of a new era in percussion at Ft. Mills. 

Impossible you say?

I’m not writing them off yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BWise said:

I’m not writing them off yet. 

You better not!!!!

And I just re-read my post and now recognize the ambiguity on that point.

My bad☹️

Edited by nsxanax

52 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Maybe they just wanted the change to happen? I don't ever remember anything coming out saying the change was made because they were in 5th. Maybe Jackson/Shah had expressed interest and they wanted to try it out. Who knows. And for the record (you can go back and look yourself), I never once complained about Crown being 5th in percussion last year. Quite the opposite in fact. Like this year, percussion was crazy competitive last year. This year is just even more deep.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, Sensioto said:

I was going to ignore this, but while I seem to be in limbo while my account deletion request is in process, I figured I would respond. 

Perhaps you missed it, but I followed up a few posts later and said, no, this has nothing to do with Crown, or drum corps, at all. It’s a personal choice and a mental health matter and that’s all I care to share with you. I don’t know you. You are not a friend of mine. What you say or think about my online personality does not define me or my character and I could not care less about what you have to say about Carolina Crown. They are a great drum corps. In fact, this season proves that there are multitudes of great drum corps. I came here to bid adieu on the Crown thread because it’s where I had encountered the most people who respectfully shared discourse and felt the most welcome. God forbid you express you opinion elsewhere on here and you get eviscerated. There’s a difference in having thick skin and just being amongst toxic people - DCP is the latter; but when I point out an observation that can be verified by evidence on the field, and get attacked by three different people on here in one night, that’s not an environment that I want to devote another second of life’s precious time to. So, I will listen, I will watch, but I will not participate. Because, as it has been so evidently pointed out to me, since I never marched drum corps, my opinion does not matter here. Carry on. 

Sorry you are leaving, I enjoyed your comments.  Hope you reconsider. 

Not sure I understand the handwringing over the percussion. It's a new staff with a young line and they have occasionally been beating corps that they ended up losing to at San Antonio. Percussion is so close among the top corps, the margins for error are small. Just look at BD's percussion scores ever since they lost their tenor to the SA incident. Something like that can shake the psyche of even a line as experienced as BD and they have taken a couple losses since that occurred. 

Give it some time

• Like 5