Carolina Crown 2023

15 minutes ago, Lance said:

the quiet brass moments in the ballad and nearer to the end are some of the most stunning things i've heard in my 35-year fandom. 

agree.  in fact i get goosebumps during the intro when those theatrical brass swells start rolling in one after another.  gets me everytime

they are breaking ground (again) with this brass book.  and i love it.

• Like 3

way to go Crown. Just got home and wasn't able to watch but so happy to see the placement tonight. 😃

• Like 1

CONGRATULATIONS to Carolina Crown on a well deserved 2nd place finish. 

This show has wheels and I’m rooting for them to keep their momentum going! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, karuna said:

Gonna blaspheme and say I can’t wait to hear BD tomorrow!  Visually they are what they are.  But I’m loving their hornbook this year.    Sorry.  Maybe they will kick me out of nightbeat tomorrow?

I’m glad I’m not the only crown and BD supporter this year! They are by far the most entertaining shows of the top 4. 

Before I get put on anyone else’s naughty ignore list, this is just my opinion 🙂 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, karuna said:

Honestly if we have judges like Chumley, Webb, Nola Jones, etc...  buying into the show,  I'm feeling pretty good.   Those are some  BIG names.  

Also could see CrownGuard pulling ahead.

Percussion is just gonna be who's judging on finals.  Some guys credit the book -- some do not.  Plus we need drums to be consistent.  I'm never quite  sure if it's the judge or run because I'm perfectly willing to believe a young line has greater variability night to night. 

I’m no percussion guy but credit has to be given to a book that integrates as well into the show as Crown’s book does. I’m personally not a huge fan of ramming a bunch of notes for difficulty’s sake, integrate it with the horn book! Crown does that so well this year, it’s a shame only WGI seems to value this style. I’d like to see musical writing like this get rewarded more in DCI 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on second place finish, Crown! 👑⚔️

The brass and guard holes have been there for a while, I wonder if they MMs are doing okay. Does anyone have further information about this?

Also, have fun to those going to NB! I am jealous.

• Like 1

Just rewatched the show again from last night, and there are a lot of sections of the show that are cleaning up real nicely. Super happy to see this show coming together. They are pulling more emotion out of the show. Crown brass is starting to sound like crown brass. 

For a while I thought their drill wasn’t all that hard this year, but the more I think about it the more I realize the opposite. All of those curvilinear forms and transitions between them are extremely difficult to clean, but if they can nail them perfectly come finals night they will be rewarded for it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BWise said:

I’m feeling the CC/DCP meetup must happen at NB. I vote NSXANAX chairperson. !!!

I’ll be to the Club at 3:30 .. 

9 hours ago, karuna said:

2nd'd and without objection so ordered!

9 hours ago, wigwam said:

I will be there till about 4 to 4:15

I’d be there earlier, but am coming with two other guests that aren’t as in to it as I am.  

9 hours ago, wigwam said:

I volunteer to b e secretary treasurer.  I’ll be collecting everyone’s dues payments.  

It would be a privilege—nay, an HONOR—to be the titular leader of such an august cadre of fellow DCI/Crown FUNantics. I humbly accept.

Safe travels to all.

My consort & I eagerly await your arrival.

Goodwill opens @ 12:00p, and I’m hoping for a good price on a gross of well worn, but serviceable baby dolls…

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m glad I’m not the only crown and BD supporter this year! They are by far the most entertaining shows of the top 4. 

Before I get put on anyone else’s naughty ignore list, this is just my opinion 🙂 

You both are in good company. I like BD and Crown most this year too, and love that their shows are polar opposites.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Just rewatched the show again from last night, and there are a lot of sections of the show that are cleaning up real nicely. Super happy to see this show coming together. They are pulling more emotion out of the show. Crown brass is starting to sound like crown brass. 

For a while I thought their drill wasn’t all that hard this year, but the more I think about it the more I realize the opposite. All of those curvilinear forms and transitions between them are extremely difficult to clean, but if they can nail them perfectly come finals night they will be rewarded for it. 

They FINALLY are getting rewarded for the content. 

• Like 2