Staff Merry-go-round

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I see no way the BOD would do anything to drive these folks away.   As a matter of fact, the Boston BOD and the names you mentioned are quite close.   

OP made it sound like there was some discord😂 i have no doubt they’re all focused in making a fantastic product for 2023 like they did this year!

6 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Not completely accurate. 

If that's true - that these changes are the result of dropping to 9th instead of staying in their 8th slot - then this is all more lame.

(Also, I'm taking as an axiom that all of these changes were not self-initiated, which could be totally wrong. Daniel Wiles's post didn't seem like a warm and fuzzy "I've got teenagers that I want to hang out with" post). 

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

If that's true - that these changes are the result of dropping to 9th instead of staying in their 8th slot - then this is all more lame.

That's not remotely true. There can be plenty of reasons someone leaves a staff besides placement. And now I appear to be trying to be "that guy"...so that's it from me. 

Not all moves planned prior. Decisions not made on placement. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

(Also, I'm taking as an axiom that all of these changes were not self-initiated, which could be totally wrong. Daniel Wiles's post didn't seem like a warm and fuzzy "I've got teenagers that I want to hang out with" post). 

It's a tight knit group of people with a history together, and they're accomplished designers, so I could imagine solidarity and bruised egos combining to wreak havoc on the composition of the design team.

It's probably best not to guess what's going on.

• Like 1

Something just occurred to me....except for BD, who almost always finds a way to win,  it seems like the corps who chose to field a "real" show in 2021 (BAC, BLOO, CADETS, PHANTOM,  ET AL) all had very successful seasons in 2022.  The corps who did not tour last year however (Crown, SCV, Cavies, etal) seemed to lose ground.  Perhaps rather than blaming designers and staff, some of these corps directors' own decision making should be called into question...

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

That's not remotely true. There can be plenty of reasons someone leaves a staff besides placement. And now I appear to be trying to be "that guy"...so that's it from me. 

Not all moves planned prior. Decisions not made on placement. Thanks. 

I mean, if you're saying that one or more of the designers decided since massing last night to call it quits, then just say so. It seems that you're hinting at it, so cryptically telling me that I'm wrong isn't helping a whole lot. 

Like I said, I'm taking as an axiom that the corps made decisions. I just assumed it was prior to finals such that finals placement didn't matter so much. 

I'm not trying to spread disinformation. It's just my speculation, and likely the speculation of many others, that this many people leaving a design staff at once today has come as the result of the corps deciding to make a change (perhaps just to one with others quitting out of solidarity, or some combination thereof). 

1 minute ago, craiga said:

Something just occurred to me....except for BD, who almost always finds a way to win,  it seems like the corps who chose to field a "real" show in 2021 (BAC, BLOO, CADETS, PHANTOM,  ET AL) all had very successful seasons in 2022.  The corps who did not tour last year however (Crown, SCV, Cavies, etal) seemed to lose ground.  Perhaps rather than blaming designers and staff, some of these corps directors' own decisions making should be called into question...

The Cavaliers toured last year... Their show was LIVE! from the Rose.

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

The Cavaliers toured in 2021. 

Yes, but was it designed as a regular show would have been? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The Cavaliers toured last year... Their show was LIVE! from the Rose.

I never saw them. Was it a seriously designed show?