Phantom Regiment 2023

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Nice production quality, but give us some depth, man. "This music really fits the theme of Exogenesis." Oh? How? And what is exogenesis? 

lemme help. I’m sure you’ve probably researched other repertoires, so why should this be any different, man?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exogenesis

Edited by Sutasaurus

11 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Do your research.

lemme help.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exogenesis

Lol. Okay, thanks for a link to a wiki definition. 

And also thanks for missing the point: that video was a missed opportunity to explain how and why the music helps portray the exogenesis theme. Just hollow descriptors that don't tell me anything.

By contrast, lemme help you - check out BAC's vid. 

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Lol. Okay, thanks for a link to a wiki definition. 

And also thanks for missing the point: that video was a missed opportunity to explain how and why the music helps portray the exogenesis theme. Just hollow descriptors that don't tell me anything.

By contrast, lemme help you - check out BAC's vid. 

You and I don’t agree on many things and we probably won’t going forward. No problema. I didn’t miss your point …thank you.  I don’t think people need to be spoon fed concepts.  Let your imagination take over and let the season play out. When did folks get so lazy that they have to be “instructed” on what a show is all about? No disrespect to BAC’s vid but I don’t see it as a trend setter for the 2023 season.

My money is on how a show engages the audience and not what “armchair critics” like ourselves have to say about a program.

Flame on….

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

No disrespect to BAC’s vid but I don’t see it as a trend setter for the 2023 season.

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the video with the actor who looks like Captain Ahab. I'm referring to the one where the designers are discussing the program. Not just helpful to the audience, but it also shows that they have an idea of what the show is about themselves. It's not about setting trends, it's about speaking coherently about the show. 

You and I don’t agree on many things and we probably won’t going forward. No problema.

You could also just not have responded to me. Especially with "Do your research" (which you've now removed so you don't look so untoward). 

My money is on how a show engages the audience and not what “armchair critics” like ourselves have to say about a program.

Flame on….

Lol. I'm not saying the show sucks - I haven't seen it. I have no doubt that I'll enjoy whatever JD does with the music. In fact, I'd argue JD should've been featured in the video...

Your narrow worldview may continue to be challenged. 

15 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Nice production quality, but give us some depth, man. "This music really fits the theme of Exogenesis." Oh? How? And what is exogenesis? 

For some reason, the video segment for "Supremacy" (in conjunction with the show title) made me think of this:

video.yahoomovies.com@d6c620d8-87ba-3d23

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the video with the actor who looks like Captain Ahab. I'm referring to the one where the designers are discussing the program. Not just helpful to the audience, but it also shows that they have an idea of what the show is about themselves. It's not about setting trends, it's about speaking coherently about the show. 

You could also just not have responded to me. Especially with "Do your research" (which you've now removed so you don't look so untoward). 

Lol. I'm not saying the show sucks - I haven't seen it. I have no doubt that I'll enjoy whatever JD does with the music. In fact, I'd argue JD should've been featured in the video...

Your narrow worldview may continue to be challenged. 

Had you taken the time to tune into the Phanathon the designers discussed at length the show concept and why they chose the material they did.

Sorry they haven’t put it up on their website for your browsing pleasure. Perhaps your “world view” needs a little expanding as well.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

You and I don’t agree on many things and we probably won’t going forward. No problema. I didn’t miss your point …thank you.  I don’t think people need to be spoon fed concepts.  Let your imagination take over and let the season play out. When did folks get so lazy that they have to be “instructed” on what a show is all about? No disrespect to BAC’s vid but I don’t see it as a trend setter for the 2023 season.

Flame on….

The following statement has been used many times in the last 10+ years, but it bears repeating:  "If all the people who only see the show once all respond with 'What the hell was that???' then you might have a problem."

It's not the MM's or the parents or the judges who need to "get" the show concept.  They all will because they'll see it a dozen or more times.  It's the people paying $15 or $30 to see the show in July in East BumbleF who don't know when or if to clap.

And for the record, I'll bet 99% of those people don't know what the #### "Exogenesis" is either.

• Like 2

Then there are those that only look at props.....

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

The following statement has been used many times in the last 10+ years, but it bears repeating:  "If all the people who only see the show once all respond with 'What the hell was that???' then you might have a problem."

It's not the MM's or the parents or the judges who need to "get" the show concept.  They all will because they'll see it a dozen or more times.  It's the people paying $15 or $30 to see the show in July in East BumbleF who don't know when or if to clap.

And for the record, I'll bet 99% of those people don't know what the #### "Exogenesis" is either.

Agreed! Regiment designers may be well-served to help us out with this.

It's, of course, still early, and they may have more info releases planned. The first vid, however,wasn't helpful.

Noting that many corps have themes that are not obvious unless you watch a video from the designers. And even then, it may not be that obvious (or not so well designed). 

While I certainly have had some "what the hell was that?"  reactions over the years, if the music is great and performed well, I can look past my confusion.

That's not to say well-performed music can't be confusing due to the design/arrangements. 

• Like 1