Phantom Regiment 2023

Some local coverage of recent events kicking off the season! 

31 minutes ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Some local coverage of recent events kicking off the season! 

That would be cool to have a local reporter drop in on them at certain points during tour  to do updates for  those following their progress.

1 hour ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

I agree! The performance and themes of the show as described at the concert in the park, makes me think of a part two or redux of the 2018 "This New World" show, even down to the visual design of uniforms, logo, colors, etc. 

I think this show will be much more successful at achieving their desired outcomes of taking Regiment to new places and reinventing themselves for the future.

So I had the pleasure of watching ensemble in Evansville the first 5 nights they were here.  The visual is going to be something to see -- it is going to take a bit for it all to get on the field and clean - but when it is finished - I think we'll all be quite pleased.

It is modern but still Phantom -- they are adding modern elements like funneling into a set prop or spot, but doing so in-time and still marching (vs. the run-spin stuff BD does).  The props are moving a ton -- way more than last year -- and are versatile in their use given their design.  It is a modern show - but it is still very Phantom.  By the end of the year -- I'd place a bet that we get a 360 when they twist into the small circle (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it on Wednesday) and we get a leg kick or kick out at the final note.  

The brass is up front A TON - and I mean in the normal pit area -- front row - bring earplugs.  And the low-brass lines are extra talented. 

The music is much better in the context of the visuals on the field.  It is a great book to just listen to - but the visuals do add a ton to what is actually happening.  The is especially true in the build ups -- much better on the field then in a concert setting.

I think that they'll struggle some in the visual captions early on as it is evident that is still a work in progress with a new staff and approach - BUT - what I did see was improvement every time I sat down.  They did a good amount of ensemble nights where they didn't play a note and worked on visual stuff in sections and cross sections for 4-5 hours -- and you certainly saw that pay off in normal full ensembles the next night.  With that approach - I think they'll really move up the score chart when it starts to all come together.

My plea is to be patient score wise.  I'm not saying that we are going to be below a bunch of corps we shouldn't be -- but I don't think we'll be nudging up to the Top 6 in the first two weeks of July.    The bones of a great show are all there and the corps and staff seem to be on the same page - it is just going to take a minute for all of that to shine through.  By the time they get to Texas, I think we'll really start to see something special.

• Like 4

I'm currently listening to the show (they aren't going to the Tomball show... so I'm splurging a little). 

I'm going to start with the obvious beginning of the season to work on notes. Only 12 contras 😞.... we need 20 lol!!! Ok, ok I'm done lol!! Anyways, there was a contra feature that was covered up by the pit. To be fair, I'm not wearing any headphones as I'm not wanting my head to sweat in this 100+ degree weather. But I'm sure the staff is aware of what to fix and improve on with balancing during features. Tuning is obviously going to be fixed as the season goes on,  like how the drumline will also clean up their parts. I already know they will fix it. Again,beginning of the season type of stuff.

I freaking loved it! It was very 2000s like Phantom with some twists. Gosh darn it!!! I wish Phantom was coming to Tomball!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DC-Collector said:

So I had the pleasure of watching ensemble in Evansville the first 5 nights they were here.  The visual is going to be something to see -- it is going to take a bit for it all to get on the field and clean - but when it is finished - I think we'll all be quite pleased.

It is modern but still Phantom -- they are adding modern elements like funneling into a set prop or spot, but doing so in-time and still marching (vs. the run-spin stuff BD does).  The props are moving a ton -- way more than last year -- and are versatile in their use given their design.  It is a modern show - but it is still very Phantom.  By the end of the year -- I'd place a bet that we get a 360 when they twist into the small circle (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it on Wednesday) and we get a leg kick or kick out at the final note.  

The brass is up front A TON - and I mean in the normal pit area -- front row - bring earplugs.  And the low-brass lines are extra talented. 

The music is much better in the context of the visuals on the field.  It is a great book to just listen to - but the visuals do add a ton to what is actually happening.  The is especially true in the build ups -- much better on the field then in a concert setting.

I think that they'll struggle some in the visual captions early on as it is evident that is still a work in progress with a new staff and approach - BUT - what I did see was improvement every time I sat down.  They did a good amount of ensemble nights where they didn't play a note and worked on visual stuff in sections and cross sections for 4-5 hours -- and you certainly saw that pay off in normal full ensembles the next night.  With that approach - I think they'll really move up the score chart when it starts to all come together.

My plea is to be patient score wise.  I'm not saying that we are going to be below a bunch of corps we shouldn't be -- but I don't think we'll be nudging up to the Top 6 in the first two weeks of July.    The bones of a great show are all there and the corps and staff seem to be on the same page - it is just going to take a minute for all of that to shine through.  By the time they get to Texas, I think we'll really start to see something special.

Your last paragraph is exactly how I felt after listening to a stand still performance. This is a very Phantom Regiment style show from the 2000s that has a nice modern twist. They are going to rock come finals night.

Lose the trombone features, just for the sake of featuring trombones, and because that’s what others do. Nice sounding horn line, bones not so nice. Too much percussion battery to start, too clique. You know, dci all now starts slow and builds to crescendo. If you want to give us some Regiment, just let us have it right away; you can do that and still be relevant. If Regiment wants to be both true to their roots and relevant, and innovative, how about a real aria with symphonic accompaniment, and could be done quite theatrically… which I think can be done now? Agree, not enough melody. Right now dci is too obscure in the name of art…an innovative show could provide something recognizable, or melodic and powerful, while also being avante guard and with the times. MHO

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Those uniforms ☹️

You don’t like them? I think they look pretty snazzy, and I’m an old fart. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Those uniforms ☹️

They will probably have the best field presence this year.

• Like 1