Phantom Regiment 2023

On 7/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, college-phan said:

Can’t say too much more because I don’t want to spoil anything. I think it’s going to be a great addition, but knowing what I know about this forum, some might not be pleased. However, it fits imo, so all is good if you ask me. All I’ll say is to trust the design staff and look forward to some really cool new stuff when they’re ready!

Given the theme it better be some dang aliens. That’s the only thing this show is missing IMO. Where are the aliens? Yeah I know — the band Muse. But *on the field*, I mean. 

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh and 

“i march with Phantom 'cause i blow things up!”

Haha, not to be too mean, but can you really call it "marching" with Phantom this year?

More like run around to your dot, horns up, freeze to play, lunge to the left, lunge to the right, plié, lean to the left, stop playing, horns down, run to your next dot.

There is almost NO actual marching in their show. I went through and watched it on mute just to focus on their drill and see if I was just being dramatic, but it is very very very limited throughout their show (if I'm wrong, I'll own up to it, but can anyone tell me their most effective drill move in the show and name anything other than the big hit at the end?)

I LOVE Phantom and I'm so glad to hear their hornline coming back (seriously, they sound incredible), but I really don't understand how their visual scores/GE scores are as high as they are when they basically never move while playing and stand still at every big moment in the show. It's SOOOOOOO boring, visually. Am I the only one??

Love the show this year. Cohesive and clean especially this early.  Judges seem to like percussion less than other captions so far. When both content and achievement are lower than your competitors, what do you adjust first - changes to the book or just keep cleaning what you have? Both?   
I’ve always been curious about the process/philosophy for in season changes - pre-planned vs. response to judging. 

• Like 1

Got to see the show for the first time this weekend.  Musically, it's a slow burn for me. The front half is... good.  It just feels like Drum Corps, not Phantom Regiment.  The back half, however, is glorious.  Honestly, I felt the same about last year's show.  Visually, they look fantastic from above, and their drill is way ahead of the cleaning curve compared to some of the other corps.  Only gripe is the half skirts in practice are way too big and muddy things up a bit.  I was afraid of the hats, but they look just fine.  

Overall, very clean, and the show grabs you closer and closer as it goes.  I have them in the 5-8 group, but that's just my own guess.  I'm looking forward to see how they grow the show in the next month.

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, KVG_DC said:

Hoping not a tarp too.  They're always too shiny and I think it'd clutter the effectiveness of the prop usage.

I could deal with the Phabric Wedgiment approach being woven in though.  

How have I gone 30 years as an alum and never heard "Phabric Wedgiment"?  Fantastic! 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Reggi93 said:

How have I gone 30 years as an alum and never heard "Phabric Wedgiment"?  Fantastic! 😂😂😂😂

I think that term was coined during the 1992 season.

• Like 1

I suspect it was developed as a slight on what became a signature use of triangular flyovers for a time.  But I always liked those accents and the term is so absolutely perfect...

45 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I think that term was coined during the 1992 season.

I can definitely see that. We used to joke that all the lamé in Winnebago county was sold out because of Regiments design team. 😂

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:49 PM, Land_Surfer said:

Same happened in the practice room of the old Roosevelt school building, in Rockford, during the ‘91 pre-season.  Structure damage!  

That old Roosevelt building was ready to fall down anyway. 😂

• Thanks 1