Phantom Regiment 2023

On 7/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, KVG_DC said:

Colts did light up props with Nachmusik. Also ineffectual in the dome and most stadia as they went on early before sunset. 

That said, laser projections onto the props might make something neat and visible?

Works great in LOS.  I saw a band at BOA project snowfall against the black curtain in back.  Very effective

My last live viewing of the year (in Dekalb) 😞

Nice progress from Lisle.This is a nice step forward for Regiment, and I'm happy for them. Should be a tight battle when all the corps get together. 

I never posted this, but I wondered if they'd add tarps to the area they run to during the ballad (honest). I don't mind it since they aren't marching and playing while on the tarps (safety). It does add a nice frame. 

Some minor brass things to tighten up. Is it me or is there consistently a tuning issue when the low brass plays their feature in the ballad (low brass to other brass, or low brass to pit)? Also, would like to see the low brass more visually interesting & spread at that feature.

Pacing-wise, the big thing that continues to stick out to me is the transition from the end of the perc feature into the ballad. They've been tweaking how long they wait to start the ballad, but I think it should start ASAP, like about 2 seconds after the last percussion note. 

Love the pause in the music when they hit the company front (hint to audience: "SUTA!").

I know this won't happen, but if I could have one wish, there'd be a big, exciting drill moment. I'm a drill guy, and there's too many scatters for my taste. I think pretty much every segemnt starts with scatters. I wrote a drill one year that ended up like this. I didn't plan it that way, that's the way it ended up, and I didn't even realize it until the judges called it out. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

No tarps tonight, anyone know why? Maybe due to visual scores last night?

They had encore last night and did not have to figure out timing for removal after show. They will be back in tomorrow night.

• Like 2

So excited to see them doing so well. Can’t wait for Nashville. Any thoughts on music and percussion scores? Surprised at how low those are compared to the rest of the show. 

what I am being told about the percussion scores is that they are behind the brass so often that judges aren't getting enough of a read on them. It makes sense when you look at BAC and how many percussion breaks they have compared to PR.

Changes are going in to try and help this from what I hear.

Someone please help me with the percussion caption. I get 'achievement' (how well you play) content is where I'm struggling to understand. I believe it means they don't think what you're playing is that difficult, correct? It certainly sounds difficult. But if it isn't that difficult, why is the achievement score low too? Are they really saying 'you're not playing anything hard, and you're not doing a very good job of it either'?

BTW, the end of the show (IMO) seems to just happen out of nowhere. There isn't enough of a build into it.

Edited by Rocketman