Phantom Regiment 2023

3 hours ago, college-phan said:

There might be some truth to this, but now that I’m checking out the score sheet a bit more thoroughly, I’m seeing that they finished fifth in visual proficiency! That’s gotta be a record for a Phantom over the past decade or so haha. It was visual analysis that really brought them, which I’m a bit eh about. More of a subjective judging sub-caption and Phantom’s been stronger there this season, so we could (imo should) see a jump up tonight with a new judge. GE 2 is another sub-caption I’d look to change with new judges.

The Music caption is ironically enough where a lot of the scoring problems lie for Phantom. I think they can push and get some more out of it with some new judges, but yeah. Personally, I don’t agree with Phantom getting 9th in brass content, but that’s just me. Music analysis imo should also be getting a bit more credit for its cohesiveness and ability to convey the concept. I like this upcoming panel of judges more than I did last night’s, so hopefully that’ll be reflected on the sheets for Phantom tonight and tomorrow.

For several years the Regiment has been lagging behind in the Percussion sub caption. They have to find a way to improve this in the upcoming years. Visually I thought they are doing great! A marked improvement over the last several years. Love this show no matter where they finish and believe the future is bright for them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

Really? Have they ever added after prelims?

There’s at least one thing I know of that *could* be added, but after not seeing it last night, I figured they decided against it. I’m not aware of Phantom adding things in at semis or finals, but there’s a first time for everything, I guess.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kopeck said:

For several years the Regiment has been lagging behind in the Percussion sub caption. They have to find a way to improve this in the upcoming years. Visually I thought they are doing great! A marked improvement over the last several years. Love this show no matter where they finish and believe the future is bright for them.

Agreed. Percussion will have to take a step up in order for Phantom to be a top-six corps year-in and year-out. I have faith in that happening with them being a brand new staff of Phantom alumni from the Rennick pedigree. With a few years of vet retention and the ability to get more comfortable in arrangement and instruction, I think they’ll be a force in the community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regimentlvr said:

If you saw it in person you may have felt differently. 

The screen treats everyone the same. I try to not let emotions cloud judgement. Don't get me wrong. This is the best Regiment show in over a decade and the MMs should be proud of what they've accomplished. That said, IMO, the overall design of Mandarins show is better and will probably end up in 5th place. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

The screen treats everyone the same. I try to not let emotions cloud judgement. Don't get me wrong. This is the best Regiment show in over a decade and the MMs should be proud of what they've accomplished. That said, IMO, the overall design of Mandarins show is better and will probably end up in 5th place. 

I do think the Mandarins have an overall better vehicle this season, but I certainly enjoy this Phantom show and the Cadets’ show significantly more than the Mandarins. 

This Phantom production shows that the right people are in place. Everything will not happen all at once, it takes some time for synergy to form between design and instructional staff. The visual design especially is miles above anything we’ve seen from Phantom in arguably a decade and the show flows in a way that many of the top 12 productions do not. Judging the 5-7 group this year is simply splitting hairs, I do not see potentially placing 7th as a disappointment at all. Competitive inertia is a real concept in DCI and phantom is building up plenty of it this season

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

Really? Have they ever added after prelims?

Ya never know. This is not the Phantom Regiment we’re used to….and that’s exciting!

Edited by Sutasaurus

35 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

A change was mentioned in the color guard vlog a week or so ago, maybe this is what you’re referring to?

I wish I could say I have inside info but I do not. I just have a gut feeling they aren’t done yet.