Blue Devils in the Details 2023

2 hours ago, karuna said:

It will certainly bring back a lot of "former" BD fans who fell in love with that sound.   That late 90's / early 00's sound was just luscious.   Methods of Madness -- dear lord;  hearing the Devils play Bernard Hermann was a treat.  Ran down the stairs for the encore every time I saw them. 

That’s my drum corps origin story. Okay, you’re right: my villain origin story 🫡.

Coming home from my marching band’s summer camp as an incoming freshman and channel surfing, and flying past PBS, but turning back because I could’ve sworn I saw a ‘marching band’ wearing uniforms identical to my high school’s (except in Blue), facing backfield, playing music from Taxi Driver, but moving better than any band I’d ever seen before in my life. 

Fan ever since! Every year. Without fail. Yeah, even the darker years (“Yowza Yowza Yowza.”)

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

Amazing show by BD, but I am not feeling the ballad as of right now.  I know it's early, and there will be significant changes, but the ballad will have to grow on me. 

• Like 1

I am absolutely convinced that the Blue Devils will maintain their standard of excellence, both in terms of performance and design.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Don't want to watch any clips until I see their full show July 2nd, but from what I'm reading here sounds like they need to make room in the trophy case for #21. 

I mean no disrespect to anyone or BD but from what I just watched, they are passing the torch this season 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cadet Guardy said:

I mean no disrespect to anyone or BD but from what I just watched, they are passing the torch this season 

I haven't found it yet.

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I haven't found it yet.

Just sent you a PM of a banana bread recipe - I didn't like it but perhaps you will.

Edited by Cadet Guardy
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, karuna said:

It will certainly bring back a lot of "former" BD fans who fell in love with that sound.   That late 90's / early 00's sound was just luscious.   Methods of Madness -- dear lord;  hearing the Devils play Bernard Hermann was a treat.  Ran down the stairs for the encore every time I saw them. 

I hope so. My first corps experience was seeing 93 BD on PBS and the breakdown of the arrangement of "the Great Divide" That mello line is what made me fall in love with drum corps, then you have the 94 show which is a top 10 of all time show and I also loved 95 and 96. 2004 is one of my all time favorite horn books. 

What made me fall out of love with BD is 2008 and beyond. I liked the concept and the originality of 2010. I liked the music in 13 and 16 (although I really thought Crown should have won 16), but I do not like the style they have now. There are mannerisms that are uniquely BD that make me cringe. I last saw them live in 2018 and while I liked the set pieces and recreation of the painting, I did not like the blend of the sound. 

Call me an anti BD fan if you want, as I do not prefer front runners and I think one group winning 50% of the championships in the past decade is bad for the activity. At the same time, I dont want to be a hater. I want to enjoy a BD show that will take me back to the style that made me fall in love with drum corps.

I saw the video.

I'm not a fan. Sorry.

Both Sides Now is probably the best part of the video, with the Japanese Anime Music taking up a good chunk.

I can really appreciate the visual side from the video, but it seems more of the same, so they're probably 3-peat.

I very much dislike the opening bit....

Whelp, my curiosity is now satiated. 

• Like 2