Blue Devils in the Details 2023

10 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Just witnessed Joni Mitchell performed in DCI and my heart is full 🥹 I'm more of a visual guy and thought the show design looked very pleasing on the field and like another hit for BD. The colors of the guard uniform are varied and they do pop, as do the props that have floral or cactus patterns like the ones Pulse had in their show this year. They are attached to stairs that reminded me of their 2017 show, or was it 2014. The stairs will probably be used to project the brass or percussion at some point but I did not see any use tonight. The colors all serve their role in sharply contrasting against a green field, just like how Matisse cut-outs are supposed to look I suppose. The performance was short (no closer or the Kenton traditional jazz piece) but sonorous. The horns really hit. The 7700 altitude no doubt had a lung-enlarging effect over the past few weeks they've been here. I needed oxygen mask just climbing the stairs at that ginormous stadium. There is a really robust percussion break in the opener and a mega break near the middle of the show. Reminded me of Tempus Blue but I guess that is just their style and the way they like to present that section.  On that subject, I don't believe Tempus Blue at this time and place last year had that level of performance, so they are really hitting all cylinders already by that gauge. And for warm up they are again playing the Ditty and "The Float." Pat Seidling who acted as emcee for the night announced the number of members at 185. Again, that has to include back ups. A full picture of the age-outs were taken at the after show festivities. I counted probably 60-70 of them in that picture. So about half the corps. I should mention that prior to the full corps performance the corps performed a stand still version of When A Man Loves A Woman, and JoJo, along side the Conn-Selmer artists Nader/Thompson, Kellin Hanas, Dani Markham, Art Cruz, Gary Gopar, and Cisco Dimas. It was spectacular. Look them up if you haven't heard of them. Some up and comers and some certified platinum album stars. I took videos of the pre-show and the full corps performance. All in all it was well worth the drive from Denver. 

Thank you.. Appreciate

• Like 2

Okay my thoughts after seeing BD live tonight:

The brass is LOUD! I am not BD expert but dang they are really packing a punch! This is no 2018 BD thin sound that’s for sure. There were some misses in the guard(and some excellent moments), and some sets that were far from totally clean from an ensemble vis POV but that’s understandable so early in the season.

The opening hit is arranged rather… oddly. It’s not like last year with one big hit, this one builds slowly and ends rather abruptly - it’s really odd considering the source music for the “caves” piece. If any part needs a rework I think it’s this.

The JOJO song is great and full of life. But honestly the entire ensemble is already nailing it, it’s frankly a little easy for them 🤷‍♂️. The carnival of Venice stuff last year was more difficult.

The long drum break after is very nice, reminds me of the drum break from Round Rock 2019 with the French (matisse) quotes. It’s more high brow than the 2019 and 2022 voice overs IMO. 

But guys… the ballad is where the bread and butter of this show is. I knew this would be great, but it’s  better than great - it’s phenomenal. Arranged similar to last year but they do throw in some of their own style into it. I think what brings this one home for me is just the emotion of the music itself connecting with the theme… (why moon river fell a bit flat to me). The GE is just through the roof. There will be tears win 😉or lose I can promise you that.

…and that was it!

I did take a video, but I will not be posting it public. If anyone is interested PM me.

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Wowowow — musically, the 2 minutes I saw of this show feels so … 90s BD? Even though the material comes from that anime show, I got an old school BD vibe, loved it. 

The guard is looking quite bloodthirsty, too. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

But guys… the ballad is where the bread and butter of this show is. I knew this would be great, but it’s  better than great - it’s phenomenal. Arranged similar to last year but they do throw in some of their own style into it. I think what brings this one home for me is just the emotion of the music itself connecting with the theme… (why moon river fell a bit flat to me). The GE is just through the roof. There will be tears win or lose I can promise you that.

feed it into my veins immediately

• Like 2

Wow. How very not “Blue Devils white” are these props. 

It’s a typical blue devils show. 

Ballads make or break shows for me and since 2017 BD ballads have won me over. But this one just isn’t doing it for me. I may need to see it live to get a feel, but as of right is it’s not giving me that emotional impact and excitement I love out of a ballad.

Keep in mind I’ve been seeing Cadets ballad live for the last 3 weeks and it’s hitting me in all the ways and feels. So I might be slightly biased currently. 

Just saw the 2 minute clip of Jojo.................... OMG!!!!! July 1st can't get here fast enough!

LFG!!!!

• Like 2

Ballad’s floating around too. More uptempo than I expected! Gonna be pretty great. 

• Like 2