Blue Devils in the Details 2023

BD had #1 in the content ordinals almost across the board except for percussion and one GE judge. 

They just need to do their thing which is clean. I still don’t think they will be touched but we will see in Indianapolis 

• Like 7

I also think 80% chance BD still goes undefeated. However, as other crops polish and add things, I think the 4th/5th movements seem slightly off is more noticeable for BD. First 3 mvt.s are amazing and flow super well.

But Incident in jazz still seems muddy to me. Especially the mellos… that entrance is not great tbh. I think their mellow in 2022 were cleaner and clearer. For their standards anyway. And it just leads kinda nowhere. I like it as a movement itself, but it feels like it still needs more. Maybe more runs or something. Like 2010

I like the canyons for the closer… but yeah rhythmically the low brass half and 8th notes still not quite there.

Idk, it’s BD so i have no doubt they will clean till the dogs come home

but, I don’t think this this show is quite an undeniable as 2022, but much more so than 2019 (even thought ghostlight is now my fav show of theirs)

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

BD had #1 in the content ordinals almost across the board except for percussion and one GE judge. 

They just need to do their thing which is clean. I still don’t think they will be touched but we will see in Indianapolis 

I agree. The staff gave the MMs so much content to work with. They may have some dirt now which is fine by me. They will clean by finals. Bust out that blue tape! 

• Like 4

I think Incident in Jazz is more difficult than a bunch of runs because of the listening and timing demands, along with the phrasing and attacks and what they are marching during all of that.

I love the muted trumpet solo right at the beginning of that feature, too. It’s so well-phrased musically and it’s just a cool transition to the tuba feature. I hope the tubas have started cleaning up that feature so they can respond in kind to the solo!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can see thinking it was an iffy run from Flo footage but honestly it wasn’t bad at all from the crowd videos.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rylan said:

No one would see THAT coming in a drum corps show. “BAM! Here’s a huge nipple!”

All I have to say is … rewatch movement 2 of Felliniesque lol. 

• Haha 4

BD are maxing out those score sheets with less than a week left of tour. What an incredible and entertaining show. Well thought out, designed to highlight every section, the music works so well, props done extremely well and the everyone is performing at a high standard. Kudos to the designers (for thinking up this show) and staff (for teaching and cleaning work). Congrats on a great year. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

BD is being tested, and that is good. The most notable thing to me is that Bloo last night nearly erased the GE edge BD had so far this season. Winning GE is not BD’s only path to winning overall, but it sure kept the margins up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

BD is being tested, and that is good. The most notable thing to me is that Bloo last night nearly erased the GE edge BD had so far this season. Winning GE is not BD’s only path to winning overall, but it sure kept the margins up.

Is GE1 more visual and GE2 more music or none of that or does it vary from show to show based on judges? I don't remember how it has been restructured. They won individual visual and music captions, so I dunno. 

It did seem in the GE that they lost, it was with lower achievement scores relative to content, while they put Bloo at equal a/c or outperforming content. So the judges might have been sending the message that you have the program, but don't relax with the achievement level you have now - keep pushing/cleaning. 

It's sometimes easy to forget that the judges ARE there to be helpful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Is GE1 more visual and GE2 more music or none of that or does it vary from show to show based on judges? I don't remember how it has been restructured. They won individual visual and music captions, so I dunno. 

It did seem in the GE that they lost, it was with lower achievement scores relative to content, while they put Bloo at equal a/c or outperforming content. So the judges might have been sending the message that you have the program, but don't relax with the achievement level you have now - keep pushing/cleaning. 

It's sometimes easy to forget that the judges ARE there to be helpful.

I haven’t gone to the source until now and not 100% sure sheets haven’t changed since 2016 but:

One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.”

https://www.dci.org/news/adjudication-101-who-judges-what

And I saw elsewhere in DCP that the first judge(s) have a visual expertise and the latter judge(s) have music expertise. 2 GE judges at most shows and 4 at regionals and the finals week shows.

Edited by lawdn
  • Thanks 1