Madison Scouts 2023

3 hours ago, bobjective said:

To my understanding they are no longer having financial difficulties from what I have read from time to time. If that is the case I do hope that they take some funds and hire a drill writer that can present a more  competitive visual package for them next year.

Now this is something I agree with

I would imagine they're at a point where they can afford a Boerma or a Sacktig, but not both at the same time. 

• Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:08 PM, TenHut said:

Yea, Scouts are closer to being an open class drum corps than they are a world class corps.

@Cappybara you can laugh at this all you want, but Madison is lucky SCV Cadets and Blue Devils B aren’t at worlds this year.

COME ON MUSIC CITY! PUSH! BEAT MADISON!

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

@Cappybara you can laugh at this all you want, but Madison is lucky SCV Cadets and Blue Devils B aren’t at worlds this year.

Other than it is likely The Corps with Madison in Their Name would lose to the bay area Feeder Corps, Madison would still make it to Friday night with the ridiculous Top 25 being semi-finalists.

I wrote a few weeks ago that I still gauge the quality of a corps by the Pre-2011 Top 17 = Semi-Finalist. Using that yardstick, The Corps with Madison in Their Name would be sitting in the stands on Friday. I never would have thought The Corps with Madison in Their Name would lose all competitiveness. 

47 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Pathetic

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I would be a liar if I said Madison had a better design than MCDC. But MC has literally some of the best minds in indoor and outdoor with less talent than others. They've been slowly building an amazing design team and just need to improve the sections. Madison has built strong sections with a weaker design team IMO. Look how MC uses the concept and props to weave the rose and thorn idea. What does Madison do with the ball and drill to give you sound garden?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

I'm just happy the Madison Scouts are still with us and competing (and in a better financial situation), and by all accounts from my friends who have friends there, and even volunteered for a while, the culture & member experience is good.  Isn't that what truly matters?  There's so much lost perspective in this thread.  Rooting for you, Scouts, to have a great end to the season.

Harvey

It is SOME of what matters. It is by no means all that truly matters. In fact, good culture and member experiences should be a basic expectation of ALL drum and bugle corps. That fact that it isn’t shows you the problems activity-wide. That we have to lower our expectations to - well at least they are being fed - is sad to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I would be a liar if I said Madison had a better design than MCDC. But MC has literally some of the best minds in indoor and outdoor with less talent than others. They've been slowly building an amazing design team and just need to improve the sections. Madison has built strong sections with a weaker design team IMO. Look how MC uses the concept and props to weave the rose and thorn idea. What does Madison do with the ball and drill to give you sound garden?

Makes we wonder whether judges even care what the show is called. If the Scouts had called their show "Garden of Sound," or "ACME drum corps show" or "X" . . . . would it be making any difference in their performance ability? Any difference in the ability of the performers to communicate with the audience? Any difference in how they are being adjudicated?

I'm not saying design does not matter. Let me be clear: Design does matter. A show needs to be cohesive. It needs to be intelligible. That is not the same thing, however, as saying a show needs a narrative, or even a label. A ball rolling around the field doesn't necessarily need to add up to "sound garden." The ball rolling around the field might make complete sense if the show had no name at all, and in theory anyway, the score should be the same whether the show has a name or not. By that same theory, MC should be getting the same scores for its show design regardless of whatever name they put on the program. Time was, not so very long ago, that DCI corps did not give names to their shows.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Thanks 1