Bluecoats 2023

Oh my god. I love it. I've always (well, ever since I got i to this genre) described my personal aesthetic, outlook and taste in art as "like The Bluecoats, but goth". The madmen actually did it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Oh my god. I love it. I've always (well, ever since I got i to this genre) described my personal aesthetic, outlook and taste in art as "like The Bluecoats, but goth". The madmen actually did it

Yeah, here’s the thing I have observed about Bloo … you either get it or you don’t, but people who don’t get it can be very vocal.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 9

we have reached the point in the season where the bloo ballad makes me emotional. last year it took until around san antonio for me to get all teared up during the bloo ballad, but something about ____45_____ really has me this year. such beautiful playing from the corps and a beautiful ballad overall. bloo really knows how to pull off tearjerker ballads. almost all of their ballads since great gig have managed to get me emotional, although none have got me the way grow til tall in 2017 did. that was such a beautiful ballad.

Edited by Ashontheinternet
spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashontheinternet said:

we have reached the point in the season where the bloo ballad makes me emotional. last year it took until around san antonio for me to get all teared up during the bloo ballad, but something about ____45_____ really has me this year. such beautiful playing from the corps and a beautiful ballad overall. bloo really knows how to pull off tearjerker ballads. almost all of their ballads since great gig have managed to get me emotional, although none have got me the way grow til tall in 2017 did. that was such a beautiful ballad.

This ballad is an instant top 5 Bluecoats ballad. I love it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashontheinternet said:

My god the first half of the ballad is divine. Somehow, that emotional weight doesn't transfer when the rest of the horn lines comes in; I'll just listen to the first part on loop when I want to listen to the ballad. It's still early season, so I hope they figure out how to make it flow better.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 11:20 AM, jwest5 said:

Joey Kratchenfield! In the flesh!! Good to see you seem to be doing well, I was confused where you seemed to go in the corps media early season after the emergency synth opening announcement. You had some of my favorite parts in the show last year!

As a former synth from this year, are you able to explain how the synth underneath the trombone opening in the ballad works? Is it a live effect applied to the bone like what they did in 2019? Or are they playing the chords independently of the trombone without a drum major? In either case, it's very impressive, but for different reasons!

I was really surprised with the turnaround that they got for the new synth player! It was really hard to adjust back to "real life" but we're making it work! I appreciate the compliment! Last year's parts were really fun!

The synth sound in the ballad was an interesting thing to throw together. Matt Jordan and I worked on that for at least an hour during the April camp. He kept singing into a microphone, I played the chords, and we just messed around with MainStage to find the right sound. We eventually did a mock up with the soloists and I in the presence of Doug Thrower, Tom Rarick, and all of the other big name Bluecoats arrangers and staff members. It was very cool to get to show off some awesome music to them at such an early stage in the season. 

The sound is from a harmonizer. In 2021 and 2022, we used a vocoder for the snare and quad stuff, respectively. It's a similar concept, just different terminology. From my experience of playing it at the April camp, I stuck with the flugelhorn. I had to memorize his exact playing patterns and react early in order to line everything up due to a small amount of delay. I never got to play it on the field during spring training, but from what I understand, you have to listen for the soloist's breathing through the in-ear monitors that we use so that you would know when to play. It becomes a bigger challenge when the trombone enters. The synth is basing their timing off of the flugelhorn soloist, who is basing their timing off of the trombone soloist. It's a very impressive feat that seems to be working well so far!

Edited by RealJoey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I believe an 84.9 keeps Bloo in the conversation, I do declare (as they say in Douglasville, GA)

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:30 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Yeah, here’s the thing I have observed about Bloo … you either get it or you don’t, but people who don’t get it can be very vocal.

I would also say, even if you don’t get it, you have to be OK with not getting it.  Sometimes I watch them, and I think, “I have no idea what this is or what they are doing, AND I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!”

• Like 4