Bluecoats 2023

On 7/29/2023 at 1:36 AM, Ashontheinternet said:

surprised that people still think that the whole bump section is tearing, like how many shows do they need to play before people realize the weird timing stuff is intentional lol

I'm thinking it's the different sections that utilizes the 'swing' 8th note feel vs the 'straight' 8th note?  But it works

2 hours ago, Maleguena1988 said:

to go from standstill to performance in 24 hours is remarkable. Tough group, and I like where they are right now. Sounds like 15 seconds cost them .4 points. Btw, that was first full run of show since MONDAY. Wow. 

Yep. .4 would have put them at 92.375. I dig the changes. I felt like live, I saw a LOT more drops from the guard and some little ticky tacky things from the battery balance. MUCH better ending. I yelled a lot. It was joyful.

• Like 1

Blooooooo! Even with the holes tonight, it was a very solid run. Very solid. And you were rewarded with a very credible 2nd place finish. Excellent work! Congrats! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

🙂

where is your avatar???

On other threads, there are a plethora of "I don't care for the show design" and "Bloo needs to get away from the hippie show design" comments. I've also noticed a difference in the crowd reaction in more conservative areas. I'm not a fan of the narration, but it's not the worst I've ever heard. This is a solid and highly entertaining show, especially when experienced live. 

In our highly polarized political and social environment, I feel like some DCI fans are offended by a show concept that they consider anti-religion. Bloo also has a reputation of being one of the more inclusive corps (I personally love this about them).

Is the tepid response to this show an actual show design issue, a reaction to a message that some find offensive, or a combination of both?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MusicaCat said:

On other threads, there are a plethora of "I don't care for the show design" and "Bloo needs to get away from the hippie show design" comments. I've also noticed a difference in the crowd reaction in more conservative areas. I'm not a fan of the narration, but it's not the worst I've ever heard. This is a solid and highly entertaining show, especially when experienced live. 

In our highly polarized political and social environment, I feel like some DCI fans are offended by a show concept that they consider anti-religion. Bloo also has a reputation of being one of the more inclusive corps (I personally love this about them).

Is the tepid response to this show an actual show design issue, a reaction to a message that some find offensive, or a combination of both?

Their show is anti-religious? Ok.

I’ve seen the show live a few times. At each show, the reaction overall was definitely pretty tepid compared to the shows that rank around it. They did get some good applause though throughout the show at different parts.

There’s nothing wrong with not being a crowd favorite. I don’t like the show in all honesty. But I’ve loved watching them perform it live each time.

55 minutes ago, MusicaCat said:

Sooooooo, I think what draws people to their feet is still the traditional “company front, horns up” moments that Bloo just does not really do too much of. I thought last night crowd reaction was good (I was on Flo so take that for what it’s worth). Bump is as close to a Keytar moment that they have in 2023, and let’s face it - the polyrhythms STILL have people wondering if something is wrong 🙂. I feel like Bloo cares more about their art and putting on the field than “horns to the box” mode. I dunno…people who get it, get it?d

• Like 2