Bluecoats 2023

1 hour ago, MusicaCat said:

On other threads, there are a plethora of "I don't care for the show design" and "Bloo needs to get away from the hippie show design" comments. I've also noticed a difference in the crowd reaction in more conservative areas. I'm not a fan of the narration, but it's not the worst I've ever heard. This is a solid and highly entertaining show, especially when experienced live. 

In our highly polarized political and social environment, I feel like some DCI fans are offended by a show concept that they consider anti-religion. Bloo also has a reputation of being one of the more inclusive corps (I personally love this about them).

Is the tepid response to this show an actual show design issue, a reaction to a message that some find offensive, or a combination of both?

I try to refrain from commenting or paying much attention to complaints regarding most shows for that matter but I have noticed a lot of commenting of “I don’t like bloo’s show”, “I just can’t seem to get into bloo’s show”, and even some “Bloo needs to change xyz to stay competitive”. Personally I think show design is fine. Is any show perfect? No, but Bloo seems to have one of the better designed shows year in and year out. Member talent can take you far yes, but they need a good vehicle to perform no? And competitively that seems to be the case. 

This is probably the first season since 2014 that Bloo probably overwhelmingly isn’t one of the crowd favorites (I’d argue that got a pretty good reaction in Atlanta) and that’s okay.

Bloo has been the most consistent corps outside of the Blue devils and I don’t expect that to end anytime soon. Anyways just repeating what everyone is saying at this point so I’ll hop off.

Keep doin what you’re doin Bloo, I’ve enjoyed this season very much so far. Top 4 have all been a joy to watch! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MusicaCat said:

On other threads, there are a plethora of "I don't care for the show design" and "Bloo needs to get away from the hippie show design" comments. I've also noticed a difference in the crowd reaction in more conservative areas. I'm not a fan of the narration, but it's not the worst I've ever heard. This is a solid and highly entertaining show, especially when experienced live. 

In our highly polarized political and social environment, I feel like some DCI fans are offended by a show concept that they consider anti-religion. Bloo also has a reputation of being one of the more inclusive corps (I personally love this about them).

Is the tepid response to this show an actual show design issue, a reaction to a message that some find offensive, or a combination of both?

I don’t think the average audience member is able to pick up the anti-religious undertones of the poem. I highly doubt the show concept itself is the reason for the tepid responses 

• Like 1

Rewind back to the early part of the 1984 season. (Recall that the country was still knee-deep in the Cold War.) I saw the Suncoast Sound show early on - huge chunks of the crowds were confused or silent during their Vietnam Memorial set. Some were outwardly & vocally hostile. (This isn't a blanket statement for the entire season, just my observations.)

Anyhow, by the time Finals rolled around, so had the crowds & their responses -- lots of shouted encouragement, quite a few tears shed, and TONS of GE (of the best kind). It might take a while for today's crowd to come around, but they will. Guarantee they will by Indy. And if they don't? That's their problem, the MMs should remain proud.

And that Suncoast show? It's one of the few non-Blue Devil shows in regular rotation in my household. That segue from Satisfaction to America the Beautiful remains creatively & sonically brilliant. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

I try to refrain from commenting or paying much attention to complaints regarding most shows for that matter but I have noticed a lot of commenting of “I don’t like bloo’s show”, “I just can’t seem to get into bloo’s show”, and even some “Bloo needs to change xyz to stay competitive”. Personally I think show design is fine. Is any show perfect? No, but Bloo seems to have one of the better designed shows year in and year out. Member talent can take you far yes, but they need a good vehicle to perform no? And competitively that seems to be the case. 

This is probably the first season since 2014 that Bloo probably overwhelmingly isn’t one of the crowd favorites (I’d argue that got a pretty good reaction in Atlanta) and that’s okay.

Bloo has been the most consistent corps outside of the Blue devils and I don’t expect that to end anytime soon. Anyways just repeating what everyone is saying at this point so I’ll hop off.

Keep doin what you’re doin Bloo, I’ve enjoyed this season very much so far. Top 4 have all been a joy to watch! 

Yeah just not diggin the Coats this year or last year. I want that in your face aggressive Tilt like or 2016 when they won. I guess this is the kinder...gentler Bluecoats. I want that aggressive Coats. 

So, there a three parts of me that have opinions about this show. Caveat: nothing I say has anything to do with the performers and entirely just the program that was put together. 

The first part is my ultimate whole-being that just doesn't really care for the design in general. It just isn't my personal vibe. I find some parts interesting. But overall I'm not really feeling it. I'm not a big fan of the color palate. 

The second part of me is my religious self. Of course I find this to be anti-religious based on the source material and of course a religious person isn't going to like that. But I largely put this part of myself aside because I understand not everyone shares my religious views. Which is fine.

The last part is my adjudication side where I remove all of my personal bias and opinions. Taken the source material, the idea behind the program, they are doing it very well. The props make sense and work. The color change in the ballad and bump provide a big contrast and tell the story well. It's a very well designed program for it's purpose and all parts are pretty genius. The narration works well and sets you up for understanding certain parts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

Their show is anti-religious? Ok.

The source poem and it's author are widely known for being anti-religion and that is how that connection is being made. 

5 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah just not diggin the Coats this year or last year. I want that in your face aggressive Tilt like or 2016 when they won. I guess this is the kinder...gentler Bluecoats. I want that aggressive Coats. 

And that’s fair, and I’m not necessarily commenting to people who subjectively just don't enjoy the show. (Although I’d argue that’s some aggressive moments in this show). I think for me it comes down to people objectively stating it as fact that this is a bad designed show which just isn’t true.

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

The source poem and it's author are widely known for being anti-religion and that is how that connection is being made. 

Learn something new everyday. I would be shocked if many people in the audience had any idea at all about this though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Learn something new everyday. I would be shocked if many people in the audience had any idea at all about this though.

Exactly. Personally, the anti-religious messaging of the show makes me like the show even more. But it truly took the entire season for this show to finally grow on me. The refined bluecoats sound is really what won me over 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1