Bluecoats 2023

I was at the show and Bluecoats were really great. Many great shows, and they made it clear they are in this thing until the end. 

• Like 7

Go BLOOOO, so many new feels tonight!!

Edited by ExPitster
posted in wrong thread!
  • Like 1

What are the black robed guard members?  Are they witches or priests?  I searched this thread on both and couldn't find anything.  Feel free to point me where to look if this has been discussed before and I'll read it.

My opinion is the witches are very effective on the field.  They're bigger than life with those wide brimmed hats and their dancing without using flags/rifles etc.  Very original idea and costuming.

Looks to me like the reduced number of tour shows and the gaining of performance scores to content are paying off.  I hate to say that performing a little less means achieving a little more... but it often does.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, as the introduction of BAC and Crown have thrown the line-up into a blender on a given night... but Bloo has had a point boost coming to them with some of the others scoring much tighter than them in perf. v. cont. across the board so far.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What are the black robed guard members?  Are they witches or priests?  I searched this thread on both and couldn't find anything.  Feel free to point me where to look if this has been discussed before and I'll read it.

My opinion is the witches are very effective on the field.  They're bigger than life with those wide brimmed hats and their dancing without using flags/rifles etc.  Very original idea and costuming.

The poem and the voiceover says “priests in black gowns, making their rounds”.  Metaphorically, they can mean LOTS of different things, though!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ashontheinternet said:

something i haven't seen bloo getting a lot of praise for this year is their mastery of dynamic contrast. their opener starts out dark and kind of jarring, before it get so blaringly loud its almost overwhelming, but skip ahead to after the dance and poem reading, right as the snares re-enter, it is very hushed and reserved, and quiet, and in the ballad when the whole hornline comes in at a very reserved dynamic. the dynamics play such a big part in the emotional element and showcase really really great talent.

I noticed this in the ballad, as well. The first full horn block ensemble hit is soooo restrained. Most other corps would play this hit as loud as they could -- seems like a logical place for ffffff. But the 'Coats brass holds back at this part, and saves the higher decibels for several measures later.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2